Return to the Frugal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need help with cover crops

Posted by catlady4444 7A (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 30, 09 at 6:18

Hello,

This may be OT, but I need help---frugal help!

I am not new to gardening, but I am *done* with hand-pulling all the weeds each spring, or using tons of weed-killer, especially in the vegetable garden.

Can anyone direct me to good information for beginners with cover crops? I've looked everywhere on GW and I can't find this info!! Specifically, I need an inexpensive and low-labor way to keep my beds clear over the winter, or planted such that clearing them will be easy in the spring.

Thanks you!

Ann in 7A

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need help with cover crops

A really thick layer of straw over the bed will work.

I use shredded tree branches because I have them for free.

o

I usually put newspaper down before i mulch. then it's easy to pull everything up and compost it. no weeds and no more than an initial hour or two of work.

o

Thank you---that sounds much easier to deal with in the spring than straw or wood chips---I've tried straw and get a ton of new weeds (it's always full of seeds, in my experience) and the free wood chips around here are very coarse (much more coarse than purchased shredded mulch) and wouldn't be my choice to leave in the garden when I plant in the spring. I'll start stocking up on newspaper---thank you!!

Ann

o

Straw and HAY are not the same things.
Hay is grass cut and baled and as you say is usually loaded with seeds. Straw is the stalk of a grain crop and is mostly seedless. It needs to be put on thicker though because its stalky stuff and you need more stalks to make coverage.

o

Put down several layers of newspaper, wet it, then cover with leaves, grass clippings, whatever to a depth of 3-4 inches. This will decompose over the winter and in the spring, all you have to do is pull away where you want to plant and leave the rest.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Frugal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here