Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomatobob_va7

Garden use for wood/wire lettuce boxes?

tomatobob_va7
15 years ago

Each week I have access to one or two lettuce boxes that I'd like to put to use instead of seeing them go to the landfill. These boxes are made of thin wood strips maybe 1/8" thick and 3" wide, held together with soft wire. A wood/wire lid can be fastened down with a wire loop. The boxes are 30+ long x 10" h x 16" w.

You folks always come up with fine ideas, so I hope you can help with this little problem. Thank you.

Comments (4)

• beachbarbie
    15 years ago

The first thing I thought of was a bin for storing your bulbs over the winter. ALthough, that won't use that many bins...
    Have you thought about trying to get rid of them on Freecycle or Craigslist?
    Barb

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    15 years ago

Good idea, Barb. The first thing I thought of was Freecycle. :-)

I, personally, would think of a way to use them as planters. I think they'd look great lined with moss and hung as planters by each window.

Blessings,
    Angela F.

• macthayer
    15 years ago

Gee, I'd love to have boxes like that! The first thing I'd do is completely organize my Garden Room. What a great thing to have -- a box that holds things yet allows you to see what's in it and allows for the flow of air to boot! I could store all my summer bulbs in them, among many, many other items in my gardening room. I could also label them easily with a permanent marker. Once organized, I'd start taking them apart so I could use the wood for staking plants in the garden. Then I'd get DH busy with his table saw, and have him cut me up some decent small stakes to use as labels. I'd try to have him cut the stake in half, and then about every 10 inches, so I'd have lots of room to write names, and still be able to put it firmly in the ground. Using a permanent marker, the stake should last at least 3 years, perhaps more. Oh, and I'd really like some for my 'root cellar', where I keep all of my apples, pears, onions, potatoes, squash, etc. Again, the air flow and being able to see things would be a great advantage. You could also spray paint them and use them for storage throughout the house -- just fit them into your decor! Say, any idea where I could get some of these boxes? MacThayer

• tomatobob_va7
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the many good suggestions, Macthayer. The person I get them from gets wilty lettuce from a grocery store for her rabbit rescue; maybe that gives you an idea of where you could get your own. Tomatobob

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor