Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nosyrosie_gw

path-pieces of granite

nosyrosie
20 years ago

I am collecting pieces of granite from a countertop company's dumpster for a path. (This will be a long process since I will only take suitably-sized pieces that are located ON TOP of the dumpster pile. No diving for me, no touching yucky stuff.) The pieces look fabulous. However I think the shiny side up would be much too slick and a liability, so I'm going to turn them upside down (the bottom is covered with some kind of cement-like/drywall-like stuff; not at all gorgeous like the granite side).

Is there a way to de-slipperize the shiny granite top side so I can use it right-side-up. I'm thinking an electric sander could scratch it up enough, and it will still look loads better and more interesting than the bottom of the granite pieces. But I'm not sure it would have enough traction.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts, Rose.

Comments (21)

• drasaid
    20 years ago

Just ask them to set aside the pieces. They probably pay to have the stuff hauled away. They may also have a good idea for how to rough the stuff up (or take off the concrete from the bottom.) Unless they are real jerks, they will probably do it (or sell it for a low fee.) They can't use it as it is, so they can use the goodwill.
    You COULD also look for a site on 'how to care for your granite countertop' and do just the opposite from what they say.

• Ina Plassa_travis
    20 years ago

it's most likely a sealer- try nail polish remover or paint thinnner....

and definately do ask them if they'll save you chunks- drasaid is right- it costs them money to have it hauled away!

• Irma_StPete
    20 years ago

Nosyrosie, Thanks for the great idea of a source for garden path pieces. I will start looking for counter top companies!

• nosyrosie
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I'll try paint thinner and see if it dulls the finish enough to make the pieces not so slick.
    Irma, I think you will like the effect. It really looks nice.

Thanks all, Rose.

• chezmoose
    20 years ago

Rose,
    I don't think paint thinner will touch the finish of the top side of the granite. The only thing that will even scratch granite is diamonds or granite. My DH works at a granite countertop co. and once in a rare while someone wants a matte finish. It's very difficult for even them to dull the finish. Even sandblasting's not very effective. I thought too that it would be cool to do a path with granite, but didn't know how to get around the slipperiness. The back side of their stone doesn't have any cement or anything on it, but no matter what color the polished stone is, the unpolished back side is just gray and dull and blah. I did use a few chunks of the polished granite to make stepping stones to the flagpole in my flowerbed and they are beautiful. I think I'm going to have to settle for flagstone for my entry path though. If you figure out how to do it, let me know!

• nosyrosie
    Original Author
    20 years ago

You know, I thought about what chezmoose said. My friend said that courthouse steps and building like that use shiny marble surfaces, surely it's similar. But it rained today and I walked on the steps and I did find it to be slippery and I just decided to turn them upside down.

I don't find it blah at all, chezmoose, I like it. You could see some of the granite pattern and it's just more interesting certainly than concrete stepping stones. I'm going to sink them into the ground on a bed of sand and gravel, each individual stepping stone, so I could mow right over it.

I think it looks pretty neat for my cottage-garden-in-the-making.

Rose

• riverwoman
    20 years ago

Try making the granite pieces small and larger spaces of rough cement in between for traction. They make molds for stepping stones, or you can make your own. Try for a mosaic effect.

• dsanp
    20 years ago

Bury them underground for about 3 months, and water well. Usually, this will pit them enough for them not to be slippery.

Or douse them with muriatic acid. It will do the same thing.

• clynnta
    20 years ago

How about adding another topcoat sealer with sand added to the mix for traction.

• lady_nikki
    20 years ago

How about setting them in sand rather than mortar and planting little creeping things among them - you would step on the plants rather than the granite. Of course you might not want to tread on your plants either...

• millneckny
    19 years ago

There is a finish called 'Thermal', which is specifically for granite used in walkways. I don't have any experience with it, but take a look a this link.

Here is a link that might be useful: thermal process

• socks
    19 years ago

When I was choosing a bathroom floor tile, I tested it by wetting the tile, wetting my bare foot, then seeing how slippery it was. You could try it that way or with the bottom of a shoe you feel is slippery.

• jbbaird
    19 years ago

just hit it with a propane torch ... similar to a flamed finish, but not as regular.

• Songsmith
    19 years ago

If you have access to a cement mixer, put your pieces in side a few at a time and put a couple of shovels full of granite gravel, like for driveways in with it. Tumble and the gravel will scratch up and degloss the polished surface.
    Wayne

• bigmommax8
    17 years ago

down memory lane...when I was a kid my dad brought home big marble gravestones he got somewhere. He broke them up with a pickax and used the chunks to make a wonderful path in the back yard. (He also got a chip in his eye and had to pay $$$for emergency treatment, also wore a pirate patch for a week or so much to my mother's indignation.)
    The gravestones were not engraved and I think they must have been flawed or something. He was a wonderful scavenger from Scotland married to an English lady who was suspicious of anything that didn't come from the shops.
    Anyhow, you could ask at a memorial stone place for their discards.

• roseyp8255
    17 years ago

awesome ideas throughout here - i am thinking i like this idea aobut the leftovers from the memorial place -

• rockguy
    15 years ago

OR...you could get some carbide sandpaper in 80 grit. It's black and can be used wet or dry, but wet is safer for your lungs. It comes in peel-and-stick discs too. Use in rotary adapter for your drill. You don't have to dull the whole surface, just do strips.

• roxanne777
    15 years ago

Well,this was an old post that's been revived.I've thought about using granite castoffs as a walkway too,but was concerned about it being slippery.I like the idea of using stepping stones made out of other material in between.That might resolve the issue.I've also thought about using smaller pieces to mosaic a homemade potting bench.
    BTW.....a local company in my area,post regulary on craigslist for free granite scraps.Check out craigslist in your area.

• rhizzlebop
    14 years ago

I googled across this post and since I'm a new member here, thought i'd post my 2 cents. I've recently been turned on to gorgeous scrap granite. I'm making some large slabs into an outdoor bar. But I wanna do a walk way. Been trying to see how to rough em up.

What does it mean by a "flame finish"? I can't picture what a torch and water do? Sounds safer on the lungs and wallet than sanding with carbide.

Also, had an idea to build a fireplace beside my deck. I'm not sure where to post about it for suggestions. I'm thinking of using concrete blocks as the "frame" of the fireplace and then seeing if I can mortar these granite scraps on every exposed surface. I'd have the whole outside, back, top, and the flame box insides all covered inn gorgeous granite chunks. I was thinking of flaring out the sides of the flame box so you get more fire reflection all the way across the width of the fireplace.
    It would sit on the ground beside the deck, but be built up to deck level. The only weight on the deck would be a granite "hearth" sticking out in front of the fireplace a couple feet, laying on the deck.
    Can you mortar these heavy chunks of granite on the sides of cement blocks? Not sure what mortar would hold them up long enough to dry. Was thinking varying size pieces, between hand size, and shoe box size.

• watchmefly
    14 years ago

Well I am excited to have found this thread. I am going today to look at granite scraps that have been offered to us (FREE) We need to install pavers in my "potager" garden, something I have been wanting/needing to do for years. But just don't have the $ to do. Then a friend offered that we come buy a see if these might work.

The slippery factor is my main concern, and my thought was to flip them over, assuming they are only polished on one side. Many other ideas here too.

I am posting prematurely since I haven't even seen the pieces or decided to use them, but I am sooo excited just had to post :-)

I will plan on following up here as our plans come together.

It would be cool to get some photos or links posted of peoples uses of scrap granite and the results.

Bye for now!

Sponsored
DB Landscape Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Beautiful & Functional Landscape Designs in Lynchburg