Return to the Frugal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Greenhouse/turtle house ideas

Posted by nomadh 10-11/so cal (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 11, 04 at 19:09

I'm looking for some good ideas and I'm hoping some of the very creative minds here can help me. I need to protect a few plants and a small pond over the winter but I'm tired of the energy costs. On top of that my wife has a few turtles and one big one needs heat in the winter. I'm open to all ideas but I do have a preference to use some raw materials I already have. I have some plexiglass sheets and an old "A frame" swingset. I though I could use them to make a small greenhouse. What I also have is a horse and all the poop that goes with him. Has anyone used manure to heat a greenhouse before without making it a deadly smelling fly house? Also any good ideas how to attach the plastic panels to the steel frame? I'm thinking some type of channels screwed to the A frame that hold the plastic panels in place. If the composting manure is next to the GH does that help enough.
Thanks for any help. My wife wants to hook up the heatlamps for the turtle soon.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Greenhouse/turtle house ideas

• Posted by Paul_ z4/5 MI (My Page) on
    Fri, Oct 15, 04 at 9:51

Hmmm, out of curiousity, what kind of turtle is it that it needs additional heat over the winter? I take it that it is not a native species?

A cautionary note: small green houses tend to build up heat rapidly. In no time at all, unless you have it set up to vent off the heat once a certain temp is reached, a small greenhouse can quickly reach temps that will be lethal to her turtles.

o

The old way of making hot beds was to dig a pit maybe three feet deep, fill with two feet of manure and top with a foot of soil. then cover that with a frame.

I knew someone who kept finding turtle skeletons in his compost pile - they would crawl in there to hibernate and get cooked.

o

• Posted by nomadh 10-11/so cal (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 18, 04 at 12:06

I figured if it got too hot they would just stay near the side. I guess it makes sense, they can do dumb things. Apearently they think if they can get their head through an opening that their body will fit also. Hows that for an out of whack body self image:) I was thinking of letting only a side or 2 of his house be heated so he doesn't get cooked.
So birdgardner, will that hotbed also stinkup the greenhouse and does it need to use the whole floor?
Thanks, Damon

o

turtles go dormant in the winter just like plants do.

o

• Posted by nomadh 10-11/so cal (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 20, 05 at 12:33

Actually he is an african tortise and getting near 60 lbs. He will be getting over 200 lbs over the next several years. Eventually I may not need to ever mow my bermuda grass with him around. He doesn't hibernate and when we tried an unheated house he caught a cold and had a snotty nose and was wheezing. I found a mother earth news solar regulating greenhouse design that looks good. It seems that most of the greenhouses use a fortune in energy heating during the winter and then nearly as much in the summer cooling. Its nuts. Any one here ever make a passive solar greenhouse? I've been collecting old windows for a year now.
Thanks, Damon
PS I may be heating parakeets now also.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Frugal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here