Return to the Frugal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
warming a tool shed

Posted by marcejen 7B (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 23, 09 at 22:16

Winter is coming and I need to warm a potting shed- cedar and clear plastic-, and also a metal tool shed. Each of them just under 600 cubic feet.with no insulation. Does a light bulb [ex 100 watts?] will warm an area such as that, enough to keep the temp at about 40* or do I have to have a small heater..The potting shed is for propagation, the metal sheet for winterizing plants in containers.
Thank you in advance for you help and advises.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: warming a tool shed

You might build a plastic tent enclosing the over winter plants in the metal building. I would buy a portable electric heater that way you have a temp control. Same with the potting shed. Just be sure to have plenty of clearance for the heater. No need to burn things down.

o

A 100 watt bulb will keep a small well-insulated room, like a well-house from reaching freezing temps, if you don't open the door but probably not a shed like you're talking about. Better go with the above suggestions to heat either the whole shed with an elec heater or build a box within the shed and use the bulb in that. Put in a thermometer and see if you're getting the desired temps before you put in the plants.

o

Thank you for your answers. I am on my way to Home depot..the cold came so fast, I have to prioritize my work. Thanks again.

o

Strings of Christmas lights. The old type kind.

Chere

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Frugal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here