Return to the Frugal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What annuals can overwinter to save money?

Posted by Binky z5 WI (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 15, 04 at 22:28

I've had great luck with geraniums, but no luck with impatients. What have an of you overwintered that was worth the effort? Also, are there any special tricks to overwintering a gardenia? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What annuals can overwinter to save money?

Morning Binky. I over-winter everything I can. So far the only plants that don't make it are the ones I forget to water...yikes! I bring in my hanging ivies, my hanging ferns. I pot up all my fuschias and geraniums. This year I found a great deal on Gazanias (I love them but they can tend to be a bit tender in our area) so all 20 of those have been potted up. My more tender annuals ie: my impatiens go into the house on a window sill they always make it over. Over time I've learned what's worth spending money on and what isn't. Unfortunately, I moved most of my house plants outside this year ( i usually do anyway). But this year I changed from Miracle Grow to Peters...OMG...I don't know how I'll fit everyting back in... Jim

o

Now this reminded me that I had meant to pot up the gazenias, and I fear I'm too late by this time! I have had good luck with lantana and the upright fuschia over the years. This year I brought in a heliotrope that was just gorgeous all summer. I never have good luck with impatiens, but I always save my geraniums by pulling them up and putting them in a paper bag, and have good results with doing it that way. I have a very small basement,so must be picky in what I save.

o

Thanks for the suggestions.

o

If I don't have time to pot up, I take cuttings of coleus, impatiens, sweet potato vine and root these in water. Later I pot them up and then have a head start on next year.

o

Binky, I've had good luck with impatiens. Two things though, keep them absolutely away from cold, keep them well watered, and check for spider mites. OK, that's three things, it's been a long day ;-) I root cuttings in water to start them. I have some that are ready to be potted up now. I have had impatiens die from cold in my living room when we lived in Colorado, so I guess I haven't always had success.

I also do geraniums (pelargoniums is the proper name,) sometimes coleus, and this year I'm trying Cane and wax-leaf varieties of begonias, and also fuschia. DD and I also have some caladiums and cannas that we're going to dig up and store the tubers.

o
RE: Try saving seeds and winter sowing

Hi again, I just wanted to mention that you might want to look on the winter sowing forum, for great ideas on seed sowing in late winter. Those folks are nuts about seed saving as well. A VERY economical way to start new plants. And some of them just define frugal, in a goood way! Very fun forum, and a great idea.

Happy gardening

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Frugal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here