Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
binky_gw

What annuals can overwinter to save money?

Binky
19 years ago

I've had great luck with geraniums, but no luck with impatients. What have an of you overwintered that was worth the effort? Also, are there any special tricks to overwintering a gardenia? Thanks.

Comments (6)

• Jungle_Jim
    19 years ago

Morning Binky. I over-winter everything I can. So far the only plants that don't make it are the ones I forget to water...yikes! I bring in my hanging ivies, my hanging ferns. I pot up all my fuschias and geraniums. This year I found a great deal on Gazanias (I love them but they can tend to be a bit tender in our area) so all 20 of those have been potted up. My more tender annuals ie: my impatiens go into the house on a window sill they always make it over. Over time I've learned what's worth spending money on and what isn't. Unfortunately, I moved most of my house plants outside this year ( i usually do anyway). But this year I changed from Miracle Grow to Peters...OMG...I don't know how I'll fit everyting back in... Jim

• phyllis__mn
    19 years ago

Now this reminded me that I had meant to pot up the gazenias, and I fear I'm too late by this time! I have had good luck with lantana and the upright fuschia over the years. This year I brought in a heliotrope that was just gorgeous all summer. I never have good luck with impatiens, but I always save my geraniums by pulling them up and putting them in a paper bag, and have good results with doing it that way. I have a very small basement,so must be picky in what I save.

• Binky
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions.

• mid_tn_mama
    19 years ago

If I don't have time to pot up, I take cuttings of coleus, impatiens, sweet potato vine and root these in water. Later I pot them up and then have a head start on next year.

• cantstopgardening
    19 years ago

Binky, I've had good luck with impatiens. Two things though, keep them absolutely away from cold, keep them well watered, and check for spider mites. OK, that's three things, it's been a long day ;-) I root cuttings in water to start them. I have some that are ready to be potted up now. I have had impatiens die from cold in my living room when we lived in Colorado, so I guess I haven't always had success.

I also do geraniums (pelargoniums is the proper name,) sometimes coleus, and this year I'm trying Cane and wax-leaf varieties of begonias, and also fuschia. DD and I also have some caladiums and cannas that we're going to dig up and store the tubers.

• cantstopgardening
    19 years ago

Hi again, I just wanted to mention that you might want to look on the winter sowing forum, for great ideas on seed sowing in late winter. Those folks are nuts about seed saving as well. A VERY economical way to start new plants. And some of them just define frugal, in a goood way! Very fun forum, and a great idea.

Happy gardening

Sponsored