Return to the Frugal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Homemade Rope Hammock?

Posted by joefalco z8 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 8, 04 at 11:29

I know it's not technically gardening, but does anyone have plans for a good DIY rope Hammock.

I have seen tons of plans for canvas ones but not rope hammocks. Plus they are so expensive to buy.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Homemade Rope Hammock?

I have 2 patterns for macrame hammocks that are older but nice. I don't know if I can scan and copy them to the site because of copywrite laws but I can e-mail you the instructions if you are interested. They Are almost as expensive to make as they are to buy unless you have a source of inexpensive cording rope or whatever. The time spent making them is signifigant also.

o

Once upon a time I was beachcombing and came across a chunk of green nylon trawl net that had escaped from a working life.

I suspect that if I finished off the ends and put some sort of grommet in those ends I could swing it as a hammock. I might need to make some sort of spreader device before I installed the grommet so I didn't end up mesh-wrapped...

If you wanted to make one through either mesh-making or macrame it would indeed take a lot of time and yards of cordage; but a second hand, even torn, net for flat-fish gathering, or deep-sea trawling could make an inexpensive alternative.

The main draw-back (no, not the smell) is - the mesh glows in the dark. But that might be an advantage.

o

You might try the following for a netmaking kit that says it will teach how to make a hammock... http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/Details.aspx?itemno=097010000007

Here is a link that might be useful: net making kit

o

Mayan hammocks rock! I have one hanging in my bedroom that I use for taking naps, reading, swinging with my little girl.

I bought my first one from Hammocks Rada several years ago, but my cat chewed holes in it. Hint don't let it swing down when not in use...get or make a hammock sock.

I'm such a huge fan of Mayan hammocks, I have be considering selling them for myself.

Good luck!

I would have ordered my new one from them, because they have great prices...but their shipping prices have soared recently. Now it costs almost as much to ship it as it does to buy it and they only offer FedEx shipping. I got mine off of Ebay.

One other hint, if you get one, don't be frugal and get the smaller sizes. The bigger the hammock, the more comfortable you will be!

o

I remember reading about making a "six pack hammock" from plastic six pack can holders, in my Steve Caney "Kids America" (I think) book.

Here's one here, too:

http://www.paulfranke.com/Industrial Design Projects/Six-pack Hammock/Six-pack hammock.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: six pack hammock

o

Earthguild offers materials, tools and instructions to make a netted hammock. I learned to do the basic knot and netting technique to make cargo nets for our vehicles and shopping bags. I have made a miniature hammock for a neighbor's daughter to hold her stuffed animals neatly out of the way on a wall but never a full sized one. I need to because our dog chewed the one we have now. Here is a website containing the instructions.

www.earthguild.com Instructions-hammocks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Frugal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here