Return to the Frugal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What Do You Use for Plant Containers?

Posted by babywatson 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 4, 05 at 12:34

What can be used as a cheap but attractive planter? Any ideas? I've used my daughter's outgrown boots and sneakers. Any other options? Emphasis on attractive--I'd rather not have something that looks really trashy. (Like a tampon box ha ha.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What Do You Use for Plant Containers?

I am sorry for not being totally on subject, but your tampon comment made me think of these lol

Here is a link that might be useful: angel ornaments

o

think that tampon angel is sorta gross.the only place for angels are statues in cemetaries. or in heaven.anywhere else they look out of place.

o

I have had orchids growing in an old lamp and a high heeled shoe. I grew a couple of small sedges in crystal champagne flultes that I had broken the bases off of (accidentally I assure you! Those puppies were expensive!) I just stuck the broken stem into a bigger plants' pot.
Other planters I've heard of people using are purses, baskets for bicycles, conch or whelk shells.
Barb

o

I love the shoe idea! can you post pictures?

thanks,

Annette

o

I usually don't have to find creative containers, because I scavenge lots of pots from estate sales. I've found that the best time to get them is late on the last day of the sale, when they just want to get rid of stuff. According to one of the people around here who does estate sales, the people who buy up leftover stuff usually don't want garden things. I've gotten literally truckloads of planters and pots, some with plants and/or soil, for $20. They're just happy to have me haul them away, so they don't have to take them to the dump. Most of what I get isn't fancy, but I do get some larger pots and even the occasional half whiskey keg.

o

Yep! Got pics of the shoe and the lamp! They're both in the orchid folder of my webshots page. The shoe is the third pic and the lamp is the second to last.
I also use half coconut husks for orchids.
I also scrounge thrift stores. I get clay pots for no more than $2 each.
Barb

Here is a link that might be useful: My Webshots page

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Frugal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here