Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
avgusta_gw

Go Green with used coffee bags

avgusta_gw
10 years ago

I just want to share how I give another life to the coffee bags. I just hate to trush really good things and spend money when I don't have to.
At first I rinse these bags from rest of coffee grounds, then fold them nicely how they been folded at the begining of their life, then let them dry.

After that , I place them on the coffee table by 5 pieces and assemble them together with scotch and duck tape on both sides.

Comments (17)

• avgusta_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

then I assemble those 5bags sections into 20 or more bags section. And now It is ready for anything that gardeners so desperatly need sometimes.

• avgusta_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

At first, I use it for mulching paths between potato rows. it works great. Nothing is grow through them. Then I left them to block the growing grass on my vegetable garden area after the harvest.
    Then I use them to separate the new flower bed from lawn ferocious bermuda grass. I take out sod to other place, then dig out dirt about 18" deep on the edge of the flowerbed. Then stack my taped 40+coffee bags vertically in this trench and my free 24"deep divider in use now. I just ammend and shovel inside part of the flowerbed as deep as needed. Later, I cover this shiny wall what left above ground with rocks which are also free and countless on my property.

Do you have other ideas how to use them?

• avgusta_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another "road" is ready for new adventure:)

• sylviatexas1
    10 years ago

love that round bed with a rock retaining wall!

Rocks are just beautiful, but you need something to keep seeds from sprouting in the gaps, & yet you don't want that plastic 'fabric' that rots into small brittle pieces.

• avgusta_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you!
    I hope it won't rot in brittle pieces. They said that plastic will not rot forever :))) (should I count on experts' propaganda?), especially if enforced with aluminum foil and hidden from sun light (UV) under rocks.
    Those "roads" for mulching may rot , cause they are under sun constantly, we will see, only time will say how hard is it.

I keep rain water in plastic milk containers under sun year around; they survive about 2 years, and then break up.

• avgusta_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is another using as a shade umbrella for a tire.

This post was edited by avgusta on Sat, Dec 7, 13 at 5:50

• sylviatexas1
    10 years ago

I think the trick to plastic in the garden is to replace it when it first starts to look 'old', & the plastic coffee bags are solid rather than webbed or woven, so there aren't any gaps in which seeds can settle & sprout.

If you tried to replace landscape fabric, you'd have to uproot all your plants, & you'd still have raggedy fabric bits clinging everywhere.

• avgusta_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

another flower bed...

• avgusta_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

close-up

• bdot_z9_ca
    10 years ago

Where do you get all these coffee bags?

• greenbean08_gw
    10 years ago

'Where do you get all these coffee bags?'

Starbucks -Grounds for your Garden.

• avgusta_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Update. The flower bed is in progress. It is not finished yet, but already has produced a big smily "fruit". :)))

• avgusta_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

She is just checking if I do it right.

• tigerlily17
    9 years ago

LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS. Thanks for the OP! Can't wait to try. Spring is in the air!!

• avgusta_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another used- coffee- bag base raised flower bed.

• toxcrusadr
    9 years ago

Probably the sun is going to break it down faster than any other factor. Buried, it would probably last for years. At least that's what I find with plastic films that are not specialized for UV resistance. The plastic molecules will still be there, the film just breaks into small pieces.

Good luck with it, I like the last one covered with the rocks, you can't even tell it's there. It would be a bit garish if left naked, IMO. :-D

• avgusta_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

These "roads" are covering my vegetable garden areas where I have not planted this year; so , next spring, I will have free from weeds beds. There is no any damage for bags yet; only tapes got loose in some places.

Also, I use them for making a block "wall" for tree roots if I plant something near trees; so, these tree roots won't steal food and drinks from flowers and berry bushes.

Sponsored