Return to the Frugal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where Can You Get Free 55 Gallon Plastic Barrels?

Posted by raspberryflyer 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 17, 06 at 3:33

Where can you get free 55 gallon plastic barrels?

I used to pick them up at the local Pepsi distributor. They got syrup in them and after they extracted all the syrup out of them they would give them to people who came to get them.

But recently, corporate adopted a new policy prohibiting the plants from giving the barrels away.

So I need a new source, since in the spring I'm going to be teaching seniors how to grow vegetables in plastic half barrels and want to give each student their own barrel to take home to start their own little veggie farm.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where Can You Get Free 55 Gallon Plastic Barrels?

Isn't that the pits?

You might call Pepsi & ask where their discarded barrels are taken when they leave the plant.

Also check with other bottlers, industrial waste collection companies, & your city.

betcha there're a lot of those things sitting around at the landfill.

o

I was wondering about this, too - I'd like to make some rain barrels and have heard it's best to use food-grade plastic ones if the water's to be used for vegetable gardening. Never thought about cutting them in half for container gardening, but what a great idea!

o

I see these barrel's at a chesse factory I take my kids to all the time, maybe see if there is one in your area?

o

Check the yellow pages for companies that supply soap to car washes.
I got a dozen of them from our local company.
They only give out the ones that can't be closed tight anymore.

o

Ditto on the car washes. I got a 55 gallon drum from a car wash and wash and rinsed it until it not longer foamed. Then i filled it with water and left it until algae grew and mosquitos found it ok to breed in. I know that sounds weird but if it can support life in flora and fauna form then i know it is safe

o

I need around four plastic 55 gallon barrels to use for rain barrels so I can water my plants in my high tunnell. I am close to Roanoke Virginia

o

I found out from the guy at Rain Brothers that while Pepsi doesn't give out the barrels for free any more, our local bottler sells them for $5 each. Not bad, I think. I tried Craig's list and found them for $15-$20 in my area.

gcountry: I did a google search on "cola bottler Roanoke Virginia" and found the following:

www.cokeconsolidated.com
235 Shenandoah Ave NW, Roanoke - (540) 343-8041

Pepsi Cola Bottling Co of Roanoke VA
www.pepsi.com
226 Lee Hwy, Hollins - (540) 966-5200

Good luck!

o

I think a lot of places are realizing that they can sell used 55 gallon drums, or else their employees are, especially if they are clean or easy to clean and didn't contain toxic materials. I buy clean used barrels from a guy who works in a warehouse for $10 each plus $2 each for him to deliver them to me, but I have to agree to buy everything he can get. I resell them for $24 each, so for every one I sell I get to keep one for myself for free. Here in southern California the going price is anywhere from $16 each to $60 each, depending mostly upon who is selling them. Occasionally you see some with closed tops with just bung holes in them cheaper, but usually they have something like glycerine or oil in them that is hard to clean out. At $24 each I can sell all the barrels I can get. So you might be able to get a few barrels for free in some parts of the country, especially if they have some hard to clean out substance in them, but I think it will keep getting harder and harder to find a large quantity for free.

o

Check with your city water plant .
Ours gives away really nice 65 gallon containers but ...
only If you can find the right person to ask .
My friend just picked up 6 more this week .

o

I live in central Illinois and have blue poly barrles with bungs available. they are once used and like new, they had water soluble soap in them, no oder. and have been rinsed
I have almost 50 on hand now and get about 24 a month
I would like to get 10.00 each for them but I am open to offers. one person to buy the lot would be ideal

o

I am about an hour and a half west southwest of chicago kankakee area im in hennepin, IL rt 26 and 180
send me an email to unclelar1@mchsi.com and I will give you my contact info

o

I Too am looking for barrels in the Kansas City, Mo. area.

o

Hi
I am looking for some free/cheap barrels for rain water harvesting in my garden. If you are in the Central New Jersey area and know of any place giving this away, do let me know.

Thanks

o

I'm also looking for some barrels in Bucks County Pa.

o

I am looking for 4 barrels for raincollecting and container gardening in the Chester County/Philadelphia Area.

Any ideas?

o

If you are in a rural area where a lot of cattle are raised, check with feed stores and farmers who use molasses based protein supplements. These are sold in 20 gal plastic containers and have hand grips on the lip. I have about 30 in my barn and many uses for them, including doing container gardening when I damage the lower part of the sides or the bottom itself. They are too valuable to me for other purposes to drill holes into the bottom of an intact tub.

o

Our church is in need of 20: 55 gallon plastic barrels, we are in the Mpls, St.Paul metro area

o

Put a wanted ad in your local freecycle.

Post on craigslist on the "wanted" area under "items for sale" (or whatever its exact name is).

You can also put "barrel" in the search box on the for sale column.

best luck!

o

I live in the Sacramento, CA area and can sell the barrels for $10/each plus shipping or pick up if anybody is interested.
Thanks

o

We get ours from a floor cleaning service. Biodegradable soap comes in them & he charges us $7 ea.

o

Hey everyone, I'm looking for the same plastic drums in the Baltimore area. Found a guy nearby selling them, but they were once used to hold car wash solution. Is it ok to reuse these for rain water collecting? Otherwise, anyone know anyone selling them in the Baltimore area?

o

I'm also looking for a few of these 55 gallon food grade drums, I live around the Rockford Illinois area,any info on obtaining some would be appreciated thanks.

o

Hi, I'm also looking for a 30gal or 50gal plastic barrell to make a composter, I live around the Flint Michigan area, any info on obtaining a barrel will be appreciated. Thanks

o

we are giving away 89 free 55 gallon drums to anyone who is willing to pick them up. They have a little residue in them and some chemical stains on the side. But it is non-hazdarus. They can come indivuidily. Anyone interested??

o
Sorry

never mind about the previous message, drums are out of stock

o

Help! I have been searching to no avail and need ASAP. I need 3 - 4 of these barrels. I live in Chester County, Pa. on the border of Berks County. Thanks so much!

o

Do any of you folks have those throw away papers in your areas??? This is where we located our barrels. We have 5 rain barrels & DH made a composter out of another one!

I stated in an earlier post that we get them from a floor cleaning service. They have had biodegradable soap in them & clean out very easy!

o

I live in Los Angeles Where Can I find a place that gives away Free 55 Gallon Plastic Barrels or sells them at low cost?
my number is 310.462.5486 my name is marco text if you can.
Thank You in advance

o

Need a source for inexpensive 55 gal drums in the Mendocino County area in CA. Thanks

o

any where in ontario contact me buy email ronpersaud.06@gmail.com will pick up for free

o

Need many 55 gal food grade plastic barrels at low cost. Well is failing and need barrels for holding water for livestock
until can repair or drill new well.

o

I would get mine at A self service car wash. Just get the soap ones, not the tire clean

o

Craigslist is the best place to look. In the DFW area we have plenty of folks looking to unload HDPE 55gal barrels.

o

I am looking for some 55 gal plastic drums to make rain barrels in the Spring, Tx area. Anyone have a connection in my area? I have tried craigslist already.

Thanks

o

Looking for food quality plastic barrels to use for collecting rain water. No harsh chemicals residue. Thanks. Jan

o

I am looking for some 55 Gallon water drums for a project I want to do this summer. If anyone here still has some, I would be interested in getting a number of them, 10 or 20 or more if you have them. They must be the open head kind so I can clean them out easily. I live about an hour north of Sacramento, CA but am willing to travel a little ways to get them.

Thanks if anyone here can help.
Sentosa48@hotmail.com

o

I would like several food grade drums. I live in Chico, CA, about 90 miles north of Sacramento. If anyone knows how to get them, please let me know. Thanks!

o

For anyone in northern PA or southern tier NY area, there is a supplier who's been advertising in the Owego Pennysaver for years. Has steel and plastic 55 gal barrels available for a reasonable cost ($10-12) and also smaller plastic and steel containers in 5-30 gal sizes. Phone # 570-586-0145. Delivery is also available. They are located about 10 mi south of Tunkhannock. Hope this helps!

o

I live in Fairfield County, Connecticut and would like to find/purchase 4 used food grade barrels for collecting rainwater in this area. Any suggestions? Thank you

o
Free 55 Gallon Plastic Barrels?

Looking for Drums in Baldwin, NY. Long Island,Nassau,Suffolk,Queens,Brooklyn

20 or more,or less !

516-5 eight 2-8331

o

Need couple Small Plastic Drums Or Containers For Water,

o

where can i get free or buy, 55 gallon barrels with a ring lock in pittsburgh, PA

o

looking for 55 gallon open top barrels for shiing missions goods in the minnineapolis,mn. area bridgepriestley@yahoo.com

o

looking for some barrels for use in my home garden....I could use four to six of them. I am in the Ocala, FL area....thanks

o

Happy Birthday to me. Love my local car wash. Did a yellow pages search and started calling. The bigger ones have more and let you come get them at no charge. More than I needed.

o

How do you clean the barrels from the car washes? What do you use them for? Thank you. -a newb...

o

Looking for empty 55 gallon plastic containers..Thanks!

o

Where can i get frr 44 gallons barrels in Michigan, specially lansing area.

o

I'm in Boise. Who has them here?

o

For anyone near Beaver County, PA, the Beaver County Conservation District sells 40-gallon plastic drums with removable locking tops for $10 each (or $8 for extra drums IF you purchase a rain barrel kit) at their spring plant sale. If you click on the Spring Seedling Sale Order Form 2011 on the first page of the website, it will give you the dates and info...and the order form, of course. The order form is due by April 15th, though, so if you're interested, you'd better hurry.

Here is a link that might be useful: Beaver County Conservation District

o

Anyone have 2-4 55 gallon drums available in the san francisco bay area peninsula, such as Palo Alto, CA? Thanks!

o

Chicago area - I'm looking for food-grade plastic and wood barrels we can use for rain barrels. Need about a quantity. Anyone know where I can get them for free or at low cost?

o

I am looking for about 5- 55gal. blue plastic drums if anyone has any in the area please let me know,Thanks.

o

I am looking for 55 gal drums near wind gap pa or the abe area. free is perfect and we can pick up or cheap if the price is right. please let me know!

o

I'm in Marietta, GA (NW Atlanta). Interested in free 55 Gal barrels or IBC totes (preferable food grade) to use for rain harvesting & drip irrigation for a garden this year. I have a P/U truck & trailer to move them. - Ed

o

Looking for free 55 Gal plastic barrels in Plant City, FL.

I need half plastic barrel for my scientific research.

I am running scientific research to determine which Blackberry varieties will survive and grow in our climate and then harvest to maximize nutrient content.
Charles

o

I had been looking all over for rain barrels. Most were far off for $20.00 or more. I found my free barrels at a car wash a few blocks away. They had wheel cleaner in them. I cleaned them out and added some soda water to them.
1 1/4 inches of rain filled my two barrels. (I got 5). I emptied them out and now I am waiting for the next rain.

Click the link below to see my new rain barrels after they were completed.

Karyl

Here is a link that might be useful: My FREE Rain Barrels

o

I need atleast 1 55 Gallon drum for barrelponics (aquaponics in A barrel) and i would like a few for some dirt farming grow beds does anybody know a place in the Seattle area to get them for -$20 because i can't afford to spend to much on these.... Thanks for any and all help and have a nice day

o

I'm also ooking for free or inexpensive 55 gal plastic barrels. I'm in the Gwinette County, GA area(Northeast of Atlanta) Thanks!

o

We got our 55 gal. plastic barrels from a floor cleaning company. They had held biodegradable soap so are fine for rain barrels once they have been thoroughly cleaned. They cost us $7 ea.

Got enough "soap" out of them to wash both cars twice! ((big grin!))

o

Im looking for 55 gal or 57 gal barrels. please let me know if you know where I can get some Thank you.

o

I am looking for free or cheap 55 or 30 gallon barrells for water storage. Anyone know where I can get them in either the Jacksonville or Gainesville, Florida area. My phone is 352-478-5001 God Bless!

o

Im looking for 55 gal or up barrels. please let me know if you know where I can get some Thank you.

o

I would like to find a place in the Hampton Roads Virginia area that I can get 55 gallon barrels for rain water. I am willing to go to some parts of North Carolina.

o

I am in the springfield, mo area and would like 55 gal plastic barrels with lids. Does anyone know where I can get a couple?

o

Looking for barrels to collect rain water.

Dallas TX area.

o

I am moving to South Georgia, east of Atlanta area, anyone know where I can find these 55 Gallon Barrels (Food Grade), or at least can be cleaned out? Please email me: lejolitournesol@yahoo.com

o

I AM TOO LOOKING FOR THE BARRELS. I LIVE AT COBB COUNTY (MARIETTA, GA). IF ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN GET THESE BARRELS, PLEASE EMAIL ME AT DAPHNE.SUNY0372@GMAIL.COM

o

I live in the DC area. Can you tell where I can get these plastic drums barrels from. I particularly want the ones with the ring around the neck I can lock up.

o

I would really like to find one of the 55 gallons barrels; it is very, very important that I avail myself of one. Anyone out there who can help please let me know. I am in Richmond Virginia.

o

Seeking clean, food grade barrels with lids for personal rain barrels. Romeo, Michigan area. Thank you!

o

I'm seeking clean plastic barrels with a metal ring for locking in or near the Chicago, IL. area.

o

You folks looking for barrels need to do more searching on your own!
Call places that use products that come in large containers...pool supplies, floor cleaners, etc. Call your local county extension office to see if they know of a source. If you have a conservation dept...call them.
You might even be able to find a source thru your local junk yard...they may know who has them.

o

I just saw 2 food grade barrels on Freecycle yesterday, so they're out there. It's the kind of thing you have to be willing to put in the time and wait if you want them for cheap/free.

o

Anyone ever use an old hot water heater instead of plastic barrels for rain collection? Can anyone think of any reason I should not do this?

o

Just a tip: check with your local newspaper also. My dad got barrels there. I think they are free, but the guy he gets them from charges $5 each to deliver them for him.

o

Does anyone know where I can get some in the Sacramento, CA area?

o

Hello, if anyone still has any 55 gallon barrels, please email me: prosper637@gmail.com

I am looking to pick up at least 20.

Thank you.

o

Fortistar Greenhouse has alot of 55gal plastic drums which are giving them away for free, just call at 716-694-0085. They are located in North Tonawanda NY
You'll have to make arrangements to pick them up yourself

o

My nephew is looking for 4 plastic 55 gallon barrels for a raft project for his boy scouts project does anyone know where he can get some. They want to enter a race. They can not afford some of the prices that I have found. We live in CT, I can pick up if close enough for him. I don't know where to get any, a donation will be greatly appreciated by the Boy Scouts of America. They want to enter a race down the Ct river as a project in July but need time to build. I am sorry to ask all of you but it seems that you all seem to KNOW. Thank you if anyone can help, and you can receive pics of the project.

o

I can offer some free welding services in return for 55 gallon plastic barrels, if that will help make the difference for him. I only have a MIG at home but can do all kinds of welding I am FAA certified.

o

We need quite a few barrels here in Maine for collecting rain water for our farm for crops and animals. Cannot afford to buy them at the going rate of 20 a barrel, anyone know of where to get some for free Thank you.

o

I have a Son who is doing a Eagle Project for Scout does any body know where or close to Omaha, NE i can pick up cheap 55 gallon barrels the white or the blue.

o

I am looking for free large plastic food grade barrels with tops (preferably 3 ft in height by 3 ft wide) for use as compost bins. I live in Ulster County, NY (Kingston, NY area) Does anyone have suggestions?

o

Hi, I am looking for these barrels in the Valdosta, GA area. I could actually use several of them for a rainwater collection system and for making compost bins. If anyone knows where to get free ones in this area please let me know.

o

A thousand thanks to QmanFlash! I have contacted car wash owners, food distributors, Cornell Cooperative Extension and posted an ad on Craigslist. Apparently the 55 gal drums are reclyced between facilities and their suppliers in my area. I've had no responses on Craigslist since posting same more than a week ago and Cornell Cooperative Extension has not responded to me as of yet. I have been looking at various on line container companies but the one you've suggested seems the best. A brand new 55 gal container with lid would cost approximately $ 100.00. The reconditioned food grade barrel will cost approx. $ 60.00 and be delivered to my door!

Thanks again for taking the time to share the info!

o

Looking for low cost barrels in the San Diego, CA area. Anyone know some are available?

o

IF you have a casino near you, they use the plastic 55 gallon drums for cleaning supplies, soap and such... You can get them free or very cheaply... I'm in Biloxi, MS and we have a lot of casinos here, it's a great source... GL

o

I am located In Homewood IL and am also looking for Rain Barrels anasgraphics85@yahoo.com

o

I'm looking for between 4-8 55 gallon drums in the NW Montana area, does anyone have any lines on those?

o

Hi
I have an offer to buy three barrels. One had formaldehyde and two had gas in them. Are those okay to use for vegetable garden containers
I doubt it but wanted to check here.

o

Seeking food grade 55 gal drums for school and community based rain barrel projects in Sussex Co. New Jersey. Hope to find a source of free to VERY inexpensive drums for New Jersey Watershed Ambassador Program. I would be interested in up to 20 barrels.

o

Anyone around TN know where i can get me one of this 55 gallon plastic barrels?

thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Frugal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here