Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A New Low Chill Cherry?

Posted by Goyo626 USDA 8B/SZ20 (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 15, 13 at 0:28

Has anyone heard about a new low chill cherry called Royal Marie?

I see other Royal cherries listed on their commercial catalog but not this cherry.

Maybe some poster who has tasted it can shed some light on it.

Does anyone know the time frame between when a variety is patented until it becomes available to purchase?

Here is a link that might be useful: PATENT DOCUMENT

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A New Low Chill Cherry?

It is a bit like saying how long does it take a company to bring a patented product to market? Depends.

I was looking at getting a dwarf royal minnie/lee combo.

A bing x minnie royal and true to type.

sounds interesting.

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 15, 13 at 9:57

Goyo:

There is no assurance this will ever be released to even commercial growers much less to us retail customers. Most commercial lines aren't released retail. DWN actually does try to release only the best eating fruit retail. But if it has commercial potential then it probably won't be released retail until the patent expires. This is to help avoid it being stolen and sent to China or elsewhere.

There are many older low chill cherry varieties that haven't been released retail. See the four earliest maturing cherries linked below.

Here is a link that might be useful: DWN cherries

o

I see what you guys are saying since I spent all last night researching fruit tree patents and there are many trees that were patented that have not been released. Although I found it interesting that Royal Tioga was patented in 2012 and has already been put on DWN website. In my research Royal Tioga was very interesting since according to the patent it is self fertile and heavy bearing as well as low chill.ery interesting stuff is going on with Zaiger, hopefully to the benefit of the fruit growing community.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here