Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
axel_hb

Need to replace gold kist apricot

Axel
11 years ago

When I first planted apricots, I followed the usual wisdom of sticking with low chill varieties, but as it turns out, this is a mistake in my climate. Every year, gold kist blooms right about now, towards the end of January, and inevitably the rains come along and the thing explodes with brown rot. Only agressive spraying has ensured that I get a good crop. This year, it will bloom all at once because we had a super cold December and early January, followed by a whole week of 80F weather. Cady is the other low chill cultivar I started out with, and it's a poor producer thanks to the rain sensitivity of the blossoms, although it's much less prone to brown rot than gold kist. Gold kist is a disease pit and it's a vector for the rest of the garden.

I am tired of spraying, and I need a replacement. I am considering tomcot, harcot, harglow, and Canadian white blenheim. The first three are brown rot resistant, and the last one is delicious, all are late bloomers. I have had great success with blenheim/royal, moorpark, mormon, and puget gold, the latter are higher chill late bloomers.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. (For Santa Cruz mountain thermal belts, no frost issues here, but high chill, and very high rainfall ~50 inches between Nov-March).

Comments (8)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio