Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need to replace gold kist apricot

Posted by axel_sc z9b/Suns16 (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 26, 13 at 0:47

When I first planted apricots, I followed the usual wisdom of sticking with low chill varieties, but as it turns out, this is a mistake in my climate. Every year, gold kist blooms right about now, towards the end of January, and inevitably the rains come along and the thing explodes with brown rot. Only agressive spraying has ensured that I get a good crop. This year, it will bloom all at once because we had a super cold December and early January, followed by a whole week of 80F weather. Cady is the other low chill cultivar I started out with, and it's a poor producer thanks to the rain sensitivity of the blossoms, although it's much less prone to brown rot than gold kist. Gold kist is a disease pit and it's a vector for the rest of the garden.

I am tired of spraying, and I need a replacement. I am considering tomcot, harcot, harglow, and Canadian white blenheim. The first three are brown rot resistant, and the last one is delicious, all are late bloomers. I have had great success with blenheim/royal, moorpark, mormon, and puget gold, the latter are higher chill late bloomers.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. (For Santa Cruz mountain thermal belts, no frost issues here, but high chill, and very high rainfall ~50 inches between Nov-March).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need to replace gold kist apricot

Axel,

What do you think about Sugar pearls or Hunza? They both had good reviews.

Tony

o

I need varieties that do better in cooler Summer weather, so most of the European varieties do better for us here. Hunza is claimed to require a lot of heat. It's an interesting variety, but I have the mormon/chinese one already, and at least for that one you don't have to cook the kernels to eat them.

Where do you get sugar pearls?

o

Henry Field's has them for only $8.25. Hurry and order now.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sugar Pearls Apricot

o

Alas, not available to CA--typical for out of state suppliers.

o

Axel:

My Harcot has its first fruit right now, I will let you know how it tastes (assuming the squirrels don't get it.) Ditto with my Nicole, which this year bloomed about the same time with Blenheim.

I might also suggest Autumn Royal, which is a late bloomer, but since mine got wiped out by the brown ooze this year, I can't tell you how it tastes.

Both Robada and its parent Orangered are also late bloomers--is the reason you aren't considering them too much chill required? I would be happy to send you some Orangered if you want to try, it's not patented.

Carla in Sac

o

Thanks for the tips. I ended up ripping out both katy and gold kist plus a couple of others. I ended up planting the following:

Harglow apricot on Lovell
Tomcot Apricot on Lovell
Monique Apricot on Marianna
Harcot Apricot on Myrobalan
Hemskirke on lovell

We'll see how these do long term.

o

Hemskirke? Where did you get THAT??

Carla in Sac

o

That-a-boy A...rip 'em out if they do not produce. We are not getting any younger! haha (Ed of Somis)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here