Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Apple trees in small spaces

Posted by ahajmano Sunset 23 (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 28, 13 at 0:58

Hello everyone,

I would like you to share your experiences with apple trees in small/tight spaces.I have a patch of soil 3.5ft wide along the block wall dividing my neighbor and I. On this soil patch, near the backyard gate I planted a Dorsett Golden on a 2' high mound for drainage. The tree is 18" from the block wall and 2" from the backyard gate fence. Both my home and my neighbors home are single story homes, so a 10' tall tree at this location should get full sun. Currently, the tree will only get 4-6 hours of sun in summer.

What do yall think? Will this location work, or was this a terrible idea?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Apple trees in small spaces

correction, thats 2' from the wood fence.

o

Honestly... not enough sun, not enough space, and I wonder if you need a pollinator... or is Dorsett self-pollinating? Could you possibly move to any wider space with more sun? I suppose it is worth a shot but I wouldn't get my hopes up much that it will be fruitful.

o

Use a dwarfing (say M26) rootstock and train it up and develop fruiting wood where there is sun. Manage it like a tall espalier and I think it will work just fine.

o

Roots may tear up the concret wall

o

What direction is it facing? If south, it may do all right.

o

Time will tell, south or west better than north or east facing. You have nothing to lose...good luck. Maybe slow going until it clears fence...

o

Yes,..you can let it grow up and share fruits above the fence with your neighbors, take off bottom 4 branches now, then more in a couple of years.

o

The tree is facing east. I have a 30' row of 6 apple trees along that block wall, spaced out 5' apart. The tree shown is the closest to the house/backyard fence. I plan on removing the fence boards and replacing with gavonized wire to prevent my dog from leaving the side yard, but still allow sun to get in. This should give me a little more sun during spring & fall when the sun will be coming from the south (opposite side of wood fence.)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here