Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
prunning persian mulberry....

Posted by buckster z8 (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 26, 10 at 2:05

Hello,

Have a bout a 3 yo persian mulberry. just starting to fruit. I wanted to know if it fruits off the new wood or old and wwhat is the best way to prune it.

Thanks a ton,

Buck

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: prunning persian mulberry....

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 26, 10 at 19:35

If you have a genuine Morus nigra the main thing with a developing specimen is to retain a leader for as long as possible - older plants may develop low heavy branches in danger of splitting. Selecting a leader a keeping it trained to a tall, secure stake for some years might be a good idea. Cutting away parts of it, especially with such a small specimen is not likely to be productive. Some thinning can be undertaken to take weight off of plants that have begun to bear heavy limbs, but care must be taken not to spoil the shape in the process.

o

And fruit is born on current seasons small wood.

o

Hi BBoy,

The trees I got had no leader more like a bush which is fine as I try to keep the fruit low.

Harvestman thank you I though it grew on new wood.

Bucky

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here