Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clarkinks

Warm wet year = bugs, bacteria, fungus, and weeds

clarkinks
9 years ago

Spraying the least amount possible of fungicide, pesticide, and herbicide is always our goal. That being said we are seeing new weeds sprouting due to warm weather. Pests have not been killed off as they are in a typical winter which translates to more bugs, voles, and rabbits etc. We are not only warmer but also wetter. Fungus and bacteria love wet and warm so look out rots , fireblight etc will be bad this year in my opinion. What are your thoughts on the consequences of this unseasonably warm winter?

Comments (15)

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

My first thought is I want to move where you are, it has not been warm here since September. It has snowed the last 2 days. More today. December was a little warm, and it's not bad now, only 22F right now, warm for here. A week ago it was -4F.

• clarkinks
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Drew we go from negative temps to 60 practically overnight and from drought to monsoon. Kansas weather is highly variable which presents a problem when growing fruit. The temp fluctuations gets our blooms plenty of years.

• socalgal_gw Zone USDA 10b Sunset 24
    9 years ago

Sounds like my weather and associated problems every year.

• Michael
    9 years ago

Clark, I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth. My greatest concern is rapidly falling temps killing buds and even wood at this point. Never had mildew problems yet but always spray for Scab and CAR. The threat of FB is nothing new and I add that to the list when conditions are favorable. Speaking of FB, had my first case of it on an apple tree last year, oh joy, thought after all these years I wouldn't ever have to worry about it. The Moonglow pear is a FB magnet!

• clarkinks
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The weather can sure turn in an instant. It's like living in Florida lately! Two weeks before it felt like Alaska. Pears are Fb magnets and I still love them and grow tons of them. The terrible part is Moonglow is considered very fire blight resistant http://www.orangepippintrees.com/pear-trees/moonglow. Last year I did not see any trees around here that did not show FB damage before the year was over. We sure did get a bumper crop of fruit last year though. I'm feeling very fortunate to have had a fruit year like 2014.

• Mike Hughes
    9 years ago

I am enjoying the warm weather. I might actually get everything done I had hoped to this winter. I am trying to establish a new orchard so frostbite would not be too painful this spring. I do sympathize with those of you whose livelihood would be affected. The weather seems warm and DRY to me. Hopefully it dose not signal the return of drought.

• brookw_gw
    9 years ago

Precipitation has been the biggest downfall in establishing our farm. We don't seem to get an inch of rain anymore--5 in or more comes at once or we get none for months. 2012--drought--we lost pretty much everything new we planted and 50 blueberries. 2013--In addition to all the fruit we raise, we also have a 5 acre vegetable garden. Every single time I got about an acre planted--flood. First a 5.5 in rain, then a 10, then a 7. Total loss. Last year--lost all peaches and blackberries to freeze. Cold wet spring wiped out spring crops and led to terrible pollination. Summer no rain--1" from mid April-Aug then 25" from Aug to end of Oct. No fall crops planted and "mudded" winter crops out of the field. Early freeze anyway. I feel beat up.

• Michael
    9 years ago

Clark, the Seckel was the first to succumb to FB and it was supposed to be the least prone of the 3 pear trees, Bosc seems to be the best bet. I think FB is wiping out the fruit buds on the Moonglow during the growing seasons, after 8 years I still haven't got one bloom off it. Think it's time to plant apricots in their place.

I looked up the historical climatic data from the NWS for my location, collected 1/4 mile from my trees and discovered something fascinating. Like many it seems like during the past 3-4 weeks, starting at the end of that very cold stretch that the high temps have been way above average, they haven't here. Don't get me wrong, It feels like it has been very warm, too warm but, the recent high temps have been pretty close to normal for the last 15 years. I can't explain it. We have had a precious few days in the 50s, that's above normal for sure. Our lows have been very close to normal throughout the last several weeks, closer than the highs a bit. Go figure.

• clarkinks
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Brooke,
    We feel your pain to some extent because In Kansas 5b it's a similar story . Fortunetly for us last year was a bin buster finally. We lost established trees and grape vines during it got so bad. It was worse for Oklahoma as entire kiwi orchards were lost. Texas farmers were even losing grass needed for their livestock and buying hay from drought stricken Kansas. Let's home the drought is over and gas prices stay down and your area has a chance to recover.
    Mike,
    Fascinating it's a microclimate like what is seen near large bodies of water or between two hills. Maybe we can swap some scion wood sometime. Duchess, Bartlett, kieffer seem to do fine in this area and everything else is still in testing. Clapps favorite is my fb magnet.

• clarkinks
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Socalgirl,
    We always think in Kansas of weather being better elsewhere but I do have to wonder if ours is better at times. It seems to go in trends everywhere that causes feast or famine.

• clarkinks
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Orchadace,
    I'm intrigued to see what you will do this year for fruit as I was impressed last year with your setup. Call me sometime and we will get that blackberry orchard started there when you get caught up.

• Michael
    9 years ago

Clark, I'd have cut the pears down last year but I'm too attached to them and, while looking up into the top of the Bosc while thinking of getting the chain saw I saw a dove nested up top looking down at me. I just didn't have the heart and figured after all the doves I shot and ate I'd leave that one alone in peace to add to the population around here.

• clarkinks
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Michael I know exactly what you mean. I always leave the bird nests also and put up houses sometimes. Here is a picture of my baby clapps favorite I made off the parent tree before the Fireblight got it. Clapps favorite easily get FB but I love the flavor.

• Michael
    9 years ago

Nice looking ground Clark, south east KS?

• clarkinks
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pretty close to KC Mike.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner