Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Goji Berry Tree Pruning

Posted by PunkRotten 9b (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 18, 13 at 6:58

Hi,

I have had this tree about two years, going on its 3rd year now. I recently transplanted it to a 15 gallon pot. It was in an 18 gallon prior, but it was wide and shallow. The tree did not grow very much last year and I think it had to do with the soil and depth of the pot. Anyway, I did a little pruning already, removed all the dead, damaged, disfigured stems etc. I want to set up a good structure for this tree but don't know how I should train it. I was thinking of just an umbrella shape but I hear this shape gives you less production. I am wondering if I should remove that entire branch on the lower left or not. I am not quite sure what to do really. Any advice? Thanks

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Goji Berry Tree Pruning

Lyceum barbarum is not a tree but a very lax growing, suckering shrub. It grows wild around the coasts here and slightly resembles brambles in its habit ie sprawling and spreading. I should think that if you want to grow it as a standard it will need permanent support and constant removal of any side growths and suckers. I'm pretty sure that would considerably reduce the amount of fruit you can expect .

Here is a link that might be useful: Goji

o
RE: Goji Berry Tree Pruning

I just received two goji plants and put them in 1-gallon pots three weeks ago where I will leave them until spring. I plan to put them in my backyard, but the raised garden bed is not yet ready. They are growing like wild fire; already grew 6 inches. During my research, I found that if grown in a container, the growth is limited by the size of the root system, i.e. the container. I also found that you can shape them by pruning. Prune your goji in the early to mid-spring while the plants are still in their dormant period. Do not prune later in the season, as this will disrupt flowering and fruit set and may stress the plant. Cut away any broken, dead, diseased or cracked canes each year and trim back any canes that are sweeping or lying on the soil surface. Cut down to a point of healthy tissue and discard the troublesome cuttings. Remove up to 1/3 of the oldest, longest canes each spring to make way for new growth. Canes fruit in their second or third year so you want to have a mix of new growth, 1-year-old canes, 2- and 3-year-old canes as well as a few older canes for optimal health and fruiting performance. Cut the oldest canes down to the crown of the plant just above the soil line.

Read more: How to Prune Goji : eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_6979043_prune-goji.html#ixzz2IKPzT8Ju

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here