Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chris_7b_ga

Grafting using super glue

Chris-7b-GA
10 years ago

This article mentions putting a dab of super glue in the center of the scion when grafting. I am not an experienced grafter but seems like a good idea if you can keep the glue off the cambium.

What do you experienced grafters think of this idea?

Here is a link that might be useful: Grafting with super glue

Comments (9)

• alan haigh
    10 years ago

Seems like a waste of time if you are relying on other support anyway. How is it suppose to work to your advantage?

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    10 years ago

Chris:

Pears will bond if scion is in the vicinity of the rootstock. Notice in the second picture of your link. There is a huge bulge at the union. That graft union indicates that the scion and root were not nearly tight enough together. So I'd say the super glue did little or nothing to help form a union.

• applenut_gw
    10 years ago

You need to tape it up anyway to hold the moisture in, seems like the tape is less likely to glue your fingers together than the super glue is. Nifty experiment, but I'll stick with tape.

• steve333_gw
    10 years ago

I would think that super glue would seal the xylem and prevent water from moving up through the graft. Perhaps that is not an issue, as I am not sure if there is water transport across the graft and old wood or not, but super glue there would certainly prevent it.

• copingwithclay
    10 years ago

Super Glue on scions may be a different 'mousetrap' to graft with, but is it a "better mousetrap"? No thanks, but don't lose the creative spirit. On the other hand/end, when clipping lengths of scions for grafting, I do use a drop of a thicker, clear, sticky, fast drying product on the TOP end of the freshly-cut scion to seal it. In stores' first aid department you can find the tiny bottles of New Skin commonly used on cuts on human skin. Also, instead of wrapping the above-graft scion with Parafilm to keep it from drying out prematurely, I sometimes use a can of aerosol clear coat paint to spray a LIGHT coat all around the scion after the lower grafted area is wrapped in tape. It seals everything and does not prevent tiny buds from swelling outward.like the Parafilm might. It kills bacteria/fungi with the poisonous content and then quickly dries. I have lost so many scions to fungus problems when just using Parafilm over the scions. Experiments can be a good thing sometimes.

• alan haigh
    10 years ago

Clay, are you sure you lost the scions to fungus and not that fungus appeared on failed scions? Controlled experiments also have their use.

Interesting and well thought out ideas, but I tend to doubt that parafilm leads to a lower percentage of takes or it would really show itself to be a problem on wet springs.

• copingwithclay
    10 years ago

Hman: Good question. Whether grafting pawpaws, muscadines, pears, mulberries, pomegranates, or various kinds of citrus, the biggest cause for still-alive grafted scions to start dying has been from 2 kinds of black fungus. One is the "regular" black sooty mold stuff that LOVES dwelling here in the hot, humid, shady, semi-forest. It grows on concrete, fences, roofing shingles, auto paint, etc. The other is a bumpy/pointed spike formation that spreads from one part of a still-alive scion to other area of the scion until it covers the whole thing.The tiny black spikes are hard. I spray the tools/hands/scions/branches multiple times with some type of spray or another to sanitize things, but while waiting a bit for the bark to dry before doing the next step, that is too much of an opportunity for just one ambitious mold spore to float down to the scion and set up a high-capacity baby factory at a site that will soon be wrapped in Parafilm where the trapped moisture will be mold-pleasing. I check the scions regularly and take notes on what is happening. While not a big budgeted scientific study, it is a classroom to learn from. The scions that do become fruiting branches make it worth trying, and there are many.

• Fascist_Nation
    10 years ago

An interesting, thought provoking thread so far. Kudos to the OP and all contributors.