Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
canadianplant

Toka Plum Pruning Question

canadianplant
11 years ago

I bought a Toka plum last year really early in the year. It was a healthy tree, lots of flowers, no noticeable defects as far as disease goes. It was about 8 feet tall, but it was described by my neighbor as "being pruned by a machine or by some idiot" lol

I couldnt see any sort of method to the madness, as the leader was forked once in the middle, then those forks split into 2 forks as well. The lowest branches were grown in a whorl.

My neighbor proceeded to cut the top 1/3 of the forks of, seeing as it didnt make any sense to have it pruned in such a way. I would have properlly shaped it, but I would have removed almost half of the leaf area and trunk/branches, which as far as Ive read isnt the best thing to do, so that leads me to the question.

The picture below is the best I can find of my plum tree. I think its too late to prune it as a central leader, and seeing as the limited info ive found says jap plums do better as an open center, I think I should go that route.

What I plan to do, if you look at the picture, and count the branches 5 starting from the left, you should be seeing the leader. What I wish to do, is to cut that leader all the way down to where the top of the branch whorl, creating an open center. Also what I hope this achieves, is that it will force the lower branches to produce more spurs and branches, filling in the tree.

Here is the pic, let me know if you need more, and thanks for looking!

Comments (4)