NY State history of apple production

alan haigh
9 years ago

Maybe some of you will find this interesting

Here is a link that might be useful: Apple history

Comments (5)

• jimharper
    9 years ago

It was an important enough industry that they took a tree by tree census in 1875. How about that?

• mrsg47
    9 years ago

Hman, I find these articles very interesting as I love the history of what we are growing. For an article I wrote on apples I found out the first RI Greening was grown by a 'Mr. Green' in Middletown, RI in 1650. To this day we have 'Green End' Avenue. The orchards in RI go between shrinking (younger kids don't want the family business) to growing (interested out of town young retirees want to perpetuate the business). Its a funny thing, but that is happening here. Just like our vineyards are growing (too bad they produce horrible wine). The colonials were key to bringing appleseeds to our state but Indians took over by planting orchards. Families then started their own home orchards that grew into a business. "Hard Cider" made the cold winters pass a bit easier. Mrs. G

• alan haigh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mrs. G, that cracks me up about your local wine. Seems like vineyards are sprouting up everywhere nowadays to sell wine to tourists. On the east coast the wine is apparently not very good anywhere although I'm not a good judge of it.

It is time some folks got creative and started making delicious alcoholic beverages with other fruit besides grapes. At least real cider is catching on, but there is so much more that could be done. In this link they mention apple whiskey as an historic beverage.

With all the craft distilleries opening up maybe someone in NY should try aging apple whiskey in oak barrels using heirloom apples. I'm sure that would go over big in trendy Brooklyn bars even if it was only marginally palatable.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

I like Michigan wine, it's excellent. We keep beating California for awards.
    At the 2013 International Eastern Wine Competition Winners Announced
    Best of show
    CAB Cellars LLC (MI)- 2011 Laurentide Winery Riesling

Best of class
    St. Julian Winery (MI)- Red Heron Semi-Sweet Wine
    Tabor Hill Winery (MI)- Cabernet Franc Port
    Lemon Creek Winery (MI)- Shiraz
    Chateau Grand Traverse (MI)- 2010 Gamay Noir Reserve

We also kicked butt at the San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition taking 2 double Gold medals and 2 gold medals.

• mrsg47
    9 years ago

I was thinking of making 'Eau de Vie'! Powerful stuff but no more difficult than making Lemoncello. Don't like sweet drinks, so 'Eau de Vie' over a little ice after dinner is great! Mrs. G