Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plumhillfarm

Insect netting: SWD and Stink Bugs

plumhillfarm
10 years ago

Last year we had significant SWD (and honey bee) damage for the first time, 2 years ago stink bugs were the problem, and every few years we get Japanese beetle damage.

At the NEVFC conference "Dubois Agrinovation" had a display of "ProtekNet" insect netting. The nets are woven out of UV treated (5 yr) "fishing line", and have different hole sizes, the ones I am looking at are 1 mm X . 85 mm or 1.9mm X 0.95 mm. They can sew them into 36' wide pieces. The price is high, ~$1300 for a 36' X 328' roll which I would cut into 10 nets so $130 per net. Light transmission of 87%, 95% porosity.

The official hole size for SWD exclusion is 1mm X 1mm or less, but I pulled up the original paper and the 1.9mm X 0.95mm excluded 99% or so of the SWD, so it should be sufficient economically.

SInce we already bird net the trees I was thinking of just putting the insect netting over the bird netting as the fruit starts to ripen. The bird netting would protect the insect net from the tree branches.

So, if you could save 10lb of fruit per tree at $3.50/lb, and move the net from early to later ripening varieties on a 3 week schedule, they could pay for themselves the first year.
Since the pesticides which are effective against SWD and stink bugs all have significant PHI's and are costly the savings would be even greater.

What we don't know is how the nets would effect brown rot and whether you can spray thru the net. Will the nets increase humidity to much? will the rain plug the holes in the net preventing drying off? The nets increase the temp inside by a couple of degrees, reduce time to harvest, and may reduce color according to the article (which was on blueberries).

So I am asking your opinions, or if you know of someone who has tried this.

Eric

Comments (4)