Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poolecw

Bare roots coming

poolecw
10 years ago

I've got some bare root pecan trees, apple trees, and triple crown blackberries coming today. I ordered them back around Christmas from Ison's. Due to a couple of really cold weeks, they are just now getting to ship them.

I plan to plant them this weekend. How should I store them in the mean time? Also, I will be planting them in weather conditions where it will below freezing at night and barely above freezing in the day. This will be the case for the next week or two. Am I setting myself up for failure or will the plants be ok? Any tips or reccomendations?

Comments (4)

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    10 years ago

Check when they come in to be sure the roots are damp. Keep them that way and just above freezing until you plant. After planting those are ideal temperatures. I've never had newly planted trees injured even by temperatures near zero.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

As soon as the ground is workable plant them. I have done this with no problems as fruitnut says temps don't matter. Here though the ground is nowhere near workable . It got down to -3f last night.

• poolecw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks guys. I will store them in my garage until this weekend.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

Store them horizontal, I have heard they tend to want to grow if vertical.