Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bare roots coming

Posted by poolecw Georgia 7b (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 22, 14 at 9:32

I've got some bare root pecan trees, apple trees, and triple crown blackberries coming today. I ordered them back around Christmas from Ison's. Due to a couple of really cold weeks, they are just now getting to ship them.

I plan to plant them this weekend. How should I store them in the mean time? Also, I will be planting them in weather conditions where it will below freezing at night and barely above freezing in the day. This will be the case for the next week or two. Am I setting myself up for failure or will the plants be ok? Any tips or reccomendations?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bare roots coming

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 22, 14 at 10:01

Check when they come in to be sure the roots are damp. Keep them that way and just above freezing until you plant. After planting those are ideal temperatures. I've never had newly planted trees injured even by temperatures near zero.

o

As soon as the ground is workable plant them. I have done this with no problems as fruitnut says temps don't matter. Here though the ground is nowhere near workable . It got down to -3f last night.

o

Thanks guys. I will store them in my garage until this weekend.

o

Store them horizontal, I have heard they tend to want to grow if vertical.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here