Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Advice on pruning asian pear tree

Posted by rhewhton 7a (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 29, 12 at 9:39

I planted this Asian Pear tree in the Fall of 2010 (see link below). Sometime in the first few months it was damaged (presumably by deer). About 10 inches off the ground the trunk diverges into two approximately equal sized trunks. One of these, which I have marked with the red cloth in the photo, has 3 main branches coming off the main trunk. The other main trunk (unmarked) diverges into two main branches with a much smaller branch in the center. The photos are not great but hopefully you can see that the two main trunks are extremely close to one another and some of the branches nearly rub against one another. So I think one of the main trunks needs to be pruned off when I prune the tree in a few weeks. Which one should I keep? Once I remove one of the main trunks is there any other pruning that should be done? This is the first time I have ever pruned a fruit tree so I appreciate your thoughts!

Here is a link that might be useful: asian pear photos

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Advice on pruning asian pear tree

To make it easier, I would like to embed the photos so that they directly pop up in the post. I've done some research on this but haven't figured it out yet. If anyone can provide instructions I'll post them this way. Thanks.

o

The fact that there are two trunks I would not call a problem; the problem is you have two pairs of limbs going in the same general direction. I would pick the smaller one from each of those pairs to remove.

Scott

o

Scott, I went back and looked at the tree after reading your post. I agree it may be too extreme to remove one of the two main trunks. There's definitely one pair of limbs that are growing in the same direction in close proximity to each other. In photo 1 these are the two that come up nearly vertical and then veer off to the left a little bit. I think it makes the most sense to remove the lower of two i.e. the one coming from the trunk with the red cloth. I don't see another pair that are close to each other though. Could you describe which other pair you are referring to?

o

I think you have a better sense than I do, it was probably looking close due to the angle of the shot. The key is scaffolds that don't compete with each other.

Scott

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here