Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tonytranomaha

Drew- Any good recipes for the Jamaican chicken jerk.

Tony
9 years ago

Drew
I Always wanted a good Jamaican chicken jerk. You have talked about a good sauce in another thread. Can I have your recipe or anyones. Thx.

Tony

Comments (3)

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

For jerk sauce I use my own recipe, never wrote it down. All on the net are just not right.
    You need allspice, nutmeg, and a touch of ginger, most add way too much! Also no cinnamon! Peanut oil or canola is supposed to be used. I use fruity olive oil. Brown sugar, fresh thyme, garlic. You need super hot scotch bonnets. the only ones that fit the bill for me are chocolate, some reds and the best is MOA yellow Scotch Bonnets. Also scallions. Other ingredients to me ruin it. Allspice berries are best, and cooking with green allspice wood would make it authentic. This is impossible. You can get Allspice berries on Amazon, you can use powdered Allspice, but it is not as good.
    As far as portions this recipe is OK, black pepper super fine is OK to add, again no cinnamon!! No lime!! I have been to Jamaica 4 times, and mine tastes like or close to the stuff there, the roadside 55 gallon drum cookers. Do not use soy sauce or catsup! Use a couple slivers of ginger, not too much. Recipe attached. Modify it with above alterations. Also you should start with two peppers and try. Add more for desired heat level. You can use any hot pepper but Scotch Bonnets are very unique, hot and very fruity tasting. I have found marinating really does not work for me. The marinade burns off, or is so diluted and does not penetrate chicken. What I do is grill chicken 1/2 cooked over hot coals, or propane. Mix jerk sauce with chicken gravy to the heat level you prefer. Fill a 2 inch high oven pan with about 1 inch of gravy. Add chicken and cook at 350 for about 1/2 hour. Serve gravy over chicken. The more you cook it, the more it falls off the bone if you like that style. Another way is to grill chicken completely and add jerk before serving, or jerk gravy.

All of us have had mashed potatoes and gravy. Serving jerk gravy over fries is awesome. It is my favorite way to consume jerk. But I can't eat many carbohydrates so only make this once or twice a year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jerk sauce recipe

• Tony
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Drew. Sounds very tasty. The children and I will be the chef for this one.

Tony

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

Some other info, when I say fruity olive oil, I don't remember the exact name, but the word fruit will be on the label. Italian specialty stores have it. Not regular olive oil, although that should be fine too.
    Also a quick way to make chicken gravy is McCormick powdered chicken gravy. The stuff isn't bad at all. Beef gravy works too. Using jerk on fish is also traditional. I have made this recipe. Not quite jerk, though It's pretty good!

Some of the Jamaican companies make jerk sauce and it's awesome too. It tastes a lot like the road side stuff. It is very good. My favorite brand is Walkerswood, any of the products even the marinade can be used as jerk sauce. This is super authentic stuff. It can be found on the net. We have a Jamaican store near us where I get it. A product of Jamaica.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jamaican Escovitch Fish

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler