Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
planting a (very small) orchard

Posted by grullablue 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 27, 11 at 9:56

I have a nice little area just beyond my yard that I'd like to use to plant some fruit trees. But I will admit, I have NO experience with this! I planted some raspberry bushes there last summer, they are growing very well, and where I planted them, they have plenty of room to expand and grow.

I would love to have a couple apple trees, peach trees, plum trees maybe....I don't know if there are varieties of trees that stay quite small....but space will be an issue. Although I know I may need more than one for fruit production.

I would like to learn all I can before I buy anything...where is the best place to buy, I know it will take several years for anything to produce....but I'll be happy just knowing they're in the ground. We do have some wild apple trees very close to where this place is...will that pose a problem? These apples are very small, and I wouldn't eat them. I haven't even looked to see if peaches are suitable for our zone, but I know plums are, as we had a plum tree in my yard growing up....

I have seen pictures of white stuff on teh trunks...is that to protect them from rabbits and things? We do have a fair share of rabbits around here (my back yard borders the woods).

Thanks for any input!
Angie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: planting a (very small) orchard

I did what you're doing now starting a couple years ago. I am still a rookie but have learned some things which might be helpful.

this is the best forum I've ever found for helpful and expert information.

1. identify your zone and soil type when you post a question as this will impact experts advice.

2. do a soil test

3. learn about rootstocks and how they impact tree growth and viability for your zone.

4. do some research on what fruit you want and how much space the trees will require. then you can do some preliminary layout.

5. find out what pests and diseases are prominent in your area and give consideration to same when picking your trees.

6. start a big ring binder or file where you'll collect information, articles, nursery catalogs, and other stuff. It'll be a lot.

7. use the internet for research. there are vast amounts of info, much of it from various universities. Add that to the practical experience and advice you get here and you'll have a very good chance of avoiding any big mistakes.

o
RE: planting a (very small) orchard

You can grow apples and peaches in zone 5, and a nice orchard can be fit into a small, sunny space. Apples can be grown very close together, almost like tomatoes, provided you use a suitable root stock and stake or trellis them. Peaches, too, need not take up a lot of space. For great ideas on the apples, go to Google video and search U. Mass Fruit Advisor.

The nearby apples should help to pollinate your new trees. Not to worry about them. Tree trunks are painted white(using diluted interior latex) to avoid sunburn, etc. Better to wrap the trunks with aluminum foil, as this will also discourage the bunnies from girdling the trees.

Good luck. Misterbaby

Here is a link that might be useful: apple root stocks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here