Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Robada apricot chill hours

Posted by john222-gg ms./8 (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 10, 13 at 9:57

I have seen lots of talk abought robada apricots sounds real good.But i can't find the chill hours.I live in a low chill hour area.I don't like planting anything that needs more than 400 chill hours.If any one knows the chill hours for Robada apricot i sure would apreshate to know.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Robada apricot chill hours

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Thu, Jan 10, 13 at 10:26

john:

I haven't seen anything listed for Robada but would guess it's more like 700 hrs. I did just find Tomcot listed as 500 or less and it has been proven over a much larger area than Robada.

Other low chill choices are Blenheim, Floragold, Goldkist, Lorna, and Tropic Gold. I've seen Blenheim growing and producing near Uvalde, TX.

o

Fruitnut
thanks I was scared it was to high for me.I will have to put in some of the others.

o

I live 2 miles from the ocean in Sunset zone 24, often get 0 chill hours and planted Robada two years ago with the same apprehension as you. To my astonishment, it bore well after only eighteen months in the ground while the chill-hour appropriate Katy just sat there. And I have never been able to get Blenheim to grow at all while my Gold Kist is erratic, sometimes fantastic and sometimes bearing almost nothing. It remains to be seen how the Robada will do this year (which has had a lot more chill than usual) but so far it is my most productive low-chill apricot.

o

Looking for apricot for Sunset zone 22, so far haven't had much luck with Tropic Gold & Flora Gold (erratic)...they got tons of blossoms this year but then the wind and rain came and most fell off. Seems to be the general theme. Wondering how Robada for ronke47 is doing?

o

Blenheim seems to reliable in my neighborhood where we average about 300 chill hours. My neighbor had a 15 year old tree that produced reliably until it died last year.

I have a tree that has been in the ground for two years. Had about 10 or 15 fruit in the first year. This year it has about 20 or 30. A pattern I usually see on my trees that are decent producers by the third or fourth year.

I haven't had much luck with goldkist, cot-n-candy, and flavor delight so far. Just a few fruit from each tree if I am lucky.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here