Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
insteng

plum tree recommendations

insteng
10 years ago

Could you recommend a couple good plum trees for the area between Houston and Dallas? For the last couple years mine have been loaded but the bloomed too early and they got knocked off by a freeze. My trees are solid white right now ready to bloom and we are supposed to have temperatures in the low to mid twenties the next couple days. So I figure this year will be a loss as well. I have over 50 acres to play with so I have room to plant whatever I want.

Comments (5)

• treenutt
    10 years ago

I have 4 methley plum. Super bearing, super fast growth, good all around in the area you are asking about. insect resistant to a point. These trees don't get the attention as do my peaches or nectarines because they don't need it. But you have to watch out for plum curculio. They get me every year, but with the right spray you can do some damage to them. Only had 3 fruit grow last year due to some late frost, but the squirrels got to them before I could. I usually install an electric fence around my trees when the fruit start to grow. It can be a pain in the but, but in the long run it well worth the effort.
    My trees are in Trinity county. You need to figure out the chill hours for the trees you choose and run it by your local extension service to see how many chill hours are required in your area. I think the methley are 250-300 chill hours.
    "Chill requirements
    Peaches and plums grown in most of the Houston area must be rated as "low chill" varieties. Many fruiting and flowering plants require a period of exposure to temperatures between 32 degrees and 45 degrees Fahrenheit in order to complete dormancy and be ready to bloom and set fruit the following spring.
    This exposure does not have to be continuous. It is the cumulative number of hours throughout fall and winter. The total number of chill hours required varies greatly by variety."
    good luck

• insteng
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks,

The Methley is one I was looking at. I am a little farther north than you so I get pretty good chill every year. My problem is the plums I have now seem to bloom too early. They get loaded but the freeze always seems to get them.

• yukkuri_kame
    10 years ago

Placement according to microclimates can help prevent early flowering. North side of slope is one option. Places that get little winter sun (north of the house, but not against the house), in a low area where cold air will pool.

If you've got space, then surely you have some different microclimates to work with.

• treenutt
    10 years ago

Good luck with whatever approach you go. Check into a plum that blooms later in the spring.
    PLUMS: Morris, Methley, Ozark Premier, Bruce, All-red, Santa Rosa.
    From this web site
    http://easttexasgardening.tamu.edu/tips/fruitsnuts/varieties.html

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    10 years ago

I know Texas is a big State,but there is a nursery,Legg Creek Farm that is sort of in your area,in Douglas,near Nacagdoches.They have good prices too,starting at $8.75 for Plums.I purchased a Santa Rosa,a Fig and and Blueberry from them.Mine came with free shipping with an order over $25 so it worked out.
    They might also be useful in getting information about the best varieties. Brady

Here is a link that might be useful: Legg Creek Farm