hardired nectarine

grape-2006
11 years ago

how does the hardired nectarine taste what about bud and tree hardyness

Comments (8)

• Tony
    11 years ago

Grape,

I found the infos on Starkbros: Hardired nectarine is productive, reliable and carefree. This variety is easy to grow. Originally developed in Canada, the tree is cold-tolerant, disease-resistant (especially to bacterial spot and brown rot), and very productive � you can thin fruit for bigger nectarines. Fruits feature firm, yellow, flavorful flesh. Ripens in August. Self-pollinating.

Tony

• Ivywild142
    10 years ago

Looks like the winter of 2013-14 will be a real test for cold tolerance of the many peach cultivars. Here in Colorado Springs, the temperatures have dropped to the -10 to -15 level which is in the range where flower bud mortality jumps dramatically. It will be interesting to see what peaches have live flower buds left. I grow many of the PF and Stellar series, along with contender. Contender, Risingstar, and Brightstar have done the best for me the past several years.

• clarkinks
    10 years ago

I grow a yum yum nectarine which so far has been hardy in zone 5. It has not produced yet. I am growing them to extend the season. The yum yum ripens fruit in June which is a month before my reliance peaches

• nyRockFarmer
    9 years ago

I would also like to know how the flavor of this nectarine compares to other popular varieties. Most descriptions only say "good flavor." That isn't very flattering since other varieties are described in more detail as sweet, tangy, or juicy. In the NYFLS bulletin from Cornell University it was given a relatively low quality rating. However, it isn't clear why it scored so low. I get the impression it probably is not the best for fresh eating.

• alan haigh
    9 years ago

I grew Hardired years ago and never had luck with it- although I didn't know then what I do now. Easiest high quality nectarine I grow is Eastern Glow, which has been almost as easy as peaches because it doesn't crack and it ripens early enough to avoid much of brown rot season.

I've never grown a nectarine that hasn't been delicious when tree ripened- they are higher brix fruit than peaches.

Do not rely on Stark catalog info- they led me to many dead ends in my early years of growing fruit in the northeast although their trees tend to be of good quality. The varieties carried by Adams are more likely to do well in our climate.

I'm assuming you are in the northeast and probably shouldn't.

• nyRockFarmer
    9 years ago

"I grew Hardired years ago and never had luck with it" - harvestman

Funny that I've heard other people say this and it is supposed to be easy to grow due to vigorous growth and hardiness.

The Eastern Glo is also appealing because it is an early producer. I already have enough coverage from mid August until November.

"The varieties carried by Adams are more likely to do well in our climate." - harvestman

Which Adams? Is it www.acnursery.com ?

• mamuang_gw
    9 years ago

Yes, it's Adam County Nursery (ACN nursery) in PA.

It's closed for the season.

I got my Easter Glo nectarine (H-man's recommendation) from Schlabach nursery in NY. It's run by Amish people so no web site. You have to call for a catalog and order by mail. Good varieties, reasonable price, honest people.

Contact is a bit harder since you have to leave a phone message for them to call back or write to them.

• alan haigh
    9 years ago

Schlaback does a great job of selecting varieties- I mostly order wholesale so their name didn't come to mind. Heard nothing but good things about them with the exception of their lack of modern communication practices.