Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beeman_gardener

Frost Damage prevention.

beeman_gardener
13 years ago

I am reading a 'green' web site that produces beneficial bacteria for gardeners.

One of the products discussed is used to prevent damage on fruit blossoms due to frost. Is this possible?

I haven't mentioned the name, as I don't want to be seen as a spammer.

So what do you think, is this possible? Or another way to part me from my money?

Comments (5)

• olpea
    13 years ago

Beeman,

Sprayable products for frost prevention can get pretty dicey.

On the one hand there is ice nucleating bacteria that increase frost damage at frost marginal temperatures. As I understand it, these bacteria cause ice crystals to form, at a slightly higher temperature, than would otherwise occur. One product I know of KOCIDE 3000 is labeled to target these bacteria, and so may provide some minimal frost protection, if sprayed before a frost event.

Other products claim they have some inherent ability to keep water from freezing in the plant cells. A sort of "cellular anti-freeze". I'm very skeptical of these claims for several reasons.

First, the product is supposed to be absorbed in the plant tissues to work. However, when they are sprayed before a frost event, temperatures are generally already pretty cold, and the plants metabolic processes have shut down. So how is this product supposed to be tranlocated in the cells?

Secondly, I tried a product called KDL that claimed it would provide up to 5 degrees F of frost protection. It also had the support of some people I knew. I tried it for several years, and if anything the trees treated with KDL fared worse than untreated trees. I tried it at different dosages, and got the same result.

Lastly, Chris Doll a recognized commercial fruit expert out of IL, mentioned this topic a couple years ago in the IL Fruit Newsletter. He said over the years, he'd tried three of these sprayable type frost protectants and none of them worked.

If they really worked, commercial growers would be on top of this in a NY minute. Until the manufactures of these products can produce some legitimate peer reviewed research, or are labeled by the EPA for frost protection, I wouldn't waste my money.

• oregonwoodsmoke
    13 years ago

The fruit growers grapevine works quite well. If any product works well and does what it claims it will do, the word goes out.

I suggest that you wait a couple of years before buying, and if the stuff works like magic, you'll be hearing about it from all over the place.

If it is "organic", even the non-organic fruit growers will jump on any organic product that performs like it promises. When the non-organic growers start singing the praises, then you know for sure it really works and it isn't just wishful thinking or placebo effect.

If you are a beginning gardener, be aware that there are lots of people out there who are happy to take as much of your money as you will part with. Sometimes you get something in exchange for your money, sometimes you don't.

• beeman_gardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Interesting.
    I suggest you have a look at the information available.
    I have used other products from this company and have been pleased with the results. If their claims are genuine then it's a major break through.
    I have no contacts other than as a customer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Frost damage prevention

• olpea
    13 years ago

Beeman,

I'm more skeptical than ever after looking at the link.

I've seen other pictures of blossoms covered in substantial ice that went on to fruit at normal without any chemical frost protectants.

You may know that some growers run sprinklers on blooms as a means of controlling frost damage. The ice freezing actually gives off calories of heat and warms the blossoms up (I know this sounds counter-intuitive, but it's true).

You may be persuaded the company has come upon a break-through, but I'm telling you, their testimonial is the very opposite of peer reviewed research.

• tyler_j
    13 years ago

Here is a link where I posted pictures of sprinkler frost protection of my hardy kiwis. It does work.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sprinkler Frost Protection