Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My apple tree seedlings update:)

Posted by Eric580 6a (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 27, 13 at 10:34

Well I promised an update and here are my baby apple seedlings! Some are about two weeks and others are only one week. They are red rome,a green apple,a gala apple,and a yellowish pink apple if you're curious. I can't wait to discover what they will turn into. The oldest ones have real leaves.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My apple tree seedlings update:)

Here are the other ones. Say hi to the geranium cutting:) How long does it take for the geranium cutting to root?

o

Good luck!

o

Thank you kathyjo mo:)

o

The growth rate will surprise you. The first season in the ground my apple seedling (macintosh) didnt do too much, but last year it grew over a foot, and is almost ready to be pruned to branch (still a whip).

Good luck!

o

What protection should I give the little trees? A small fence? I have a lot of rabbits in my yard,but I haven't seen a deer anywhere.How did you protect them canadianplant?

o

• Posted by dan8 Stockton, CA Zone 9 (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 5, 13 at 15:31

we planted a fuji apple seed, and it grew very large. We had it for like 12 years, and it consistently produced bland fruits the size never larger than a ping pong ball. We ended up removing it, it was such a waste of time and space lol.

o

I would definity put a fence around it. I have a terrible problem with rabbits here and they will find a delicate young seedling apple tree yummy.

dan8, I raise many seedling trees, and have a great time with it. I don't worry that the fruit isn't good to eat, it's all in good fun. I have 6 pear grafts on a seedling pear I raised from seed. I have left a few limbs of the original tree, just in case it turns out to be edible.

o

"....here are my baby apple seedlings! ....I can't wait to discover what they will turn into."

Rootstock.

o

Looking good, I have wanted to try it as well but like dan8 stated, I don't want to waste time with a tree that may produce but more often it won't.

o

• Posted by dan8 Stockton, CA Zone 9 (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 6, 13 at 15:38

We also planted a nectarine seed and the tree grew up so large and strong, but again the fruits were tiny, green and bland. We used them to throw at each other :D We did however, have great success with a yellow peach tree, the fruits were plentiful, large, and very sweet. The new owners of the house decided to take it down though because the tree didn't stand very well, it needed a lot of staking, the root system wasn't very good.

As long as you have the space though, they are extremely fun to watch grow and develop from seedling to tree never knowing what you will get. And you never know when you may be blessed with something really unique and desirable.

o

Even of the fruit are not edible the birds and wildlife will eat them right? I have a wildlife garden.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here