Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scottfsmith

Botner's 2010 Scionwood List

Scott F Smith
14 years ago

Some people had asked for Botners 2010 scionwood list; see below for my scan.

I have gotten many varieties from Nick over the years. Not all have been true to type but nearly all have been and the wood is good quality (its better now than it used to be). His prices are high, $5/stick, and several other places are cheaper so I use him for those impossible to find varieties only.

Scott

Here is a link that might be useful: Botner 2010 list

Comments (7)

• ramble
    14 years ago

Scott,

Thank you for this list.
    What are the other places to get scions?

• thisisme
    14 years ago

Truly mindbogglingly. How in the world does he keep track of all of those trees and scions?

• Scott F Smith
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ramble, below is a thread listing other sources. I have used Maple Valley, Richard Fahey, Fedco and Lon Rombough with excellent result. I think Joyce Neighbors stopped selling and the WSU program is over and Foxwhelp farm I have not heard about for some time so they may not be doing it anymore. Lastly The Seed Savers Exchange is a source for many varieties if you pay the membership fee.

Scott

Here is a link that might be useful: thread

• applenut_gw
    14 years ago

I should add Nick Botner is in his 80's; how much would YOU charge to wander out amoung 3,000 trees in a Oregon late winter to cut a bunch of twigs for other folks?

Joyce also is quite up in years, and last time she wrote I could hardly read the writing.

However, 15-year-old Melody Fahey fills orders for Richard and has a promising career ahead in scionwood. I hope other youngsters get interested, as us old farts will eventually die out.

Applenut

• theaceofspades
    14 years ago

Five dollars a stick! so far this season I have traded 50 new varieties of scions through contact via Garden web here. Scions are exchanged for free and priority mail shipping is $4.95. Check out my trade list and e-mail if you are interested.

• murkwell
    14 years ago

I paid $10 a stick for some pawpaw scions and was happy to do it.

I've also gotten dozens for free from the Home Orchard Society scion exchange and from the USDA clonal germplasm repositories.

Aside from them, Nick has them most extensive list I've seen and is the only source I see right now for the Yakima plum variety which I covet.

Does anybody know when Nick Botner's cutoff for ordering is? Does he collect and store the scions and then take orders from his inventory, or does he go out and snip to order?

Its been an unusual winter in the Willamette valley with record cold in December and now almost spring-like weather in mid to late January. Together this seems to be leading to early bud swell.

I'm afraid the scion stock for this year's scion exchange may not look so great if its collected in February.

• applenut_gw
    12 years ago

FYI, Tower Hill Botanical Gardens had a bad case of fireblight and will not be shipping scionwood this year.