Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
charlietexan

My First Backyard Orchard

charlietexan
9 years ago

I planted my first orchard (first time growing anything edible) last spring (April). I am located near Denton TX which is about 50 miles north of Dallas.

I got hooked watching the FruitTube videos on youtube and have watched them all at least twice.

Here are the 12 trees that I planted:

Starkrimson Red Delicious Apple
Stark Grand Gala Apple
Enterprise Apple

Blushingstar White Peach
Starking Delicious Peach
Redhaven Peach

Starking Delicious Pear
Seckel Pear
Stark SugarSweet Pear

Starking Delicious Plum
Shiro Plum
Spring Satin Plumcot

I removed a 30X10 rectangle of Bermuda in my backyard (no easy task mind you) and then planted the trees and mulched the area heavily.

I did the knee-high cut to an outward growing bud on all trees when planted.

The trees did pretty good through their first scorching summer in North Texas. All trees leafed out and grew a bit, nothing extreme like in the videos, but enough.

I lost 2 apple trees that I replaced in December. My Red Delicious Apple and my Grand Gala Apple fell victim to a rabbit who tore up the trunks on both trees. I have since placed tree guards around each trunk to prevent any animal damage in the future.

I did a little winter pruning over the weekend and am ready for the new flush of growth this Spring.

I also built a 8X4 raised bed with 2 X 12's over the weekend that will house 3 cherry trees that I have ordered. Not sure how Cherry trees will do in North Texas but the 3 I ordered are:

Starkrimson Sweet Cherry
Stella Sweet Cherry
Starking Hardy Giant Antique Sweet Cherry

My family (3 kids and wife) is taking bets on whether or not we will get even a single piece of fruit from our trees.

Hopefully I can prove them wrong :)

Comments (13)

• 2010champsbcs
    9 years ago

TexanCharlie. Welcome to the forum. There are many knowleable posters on this site. When you have questions ask away. They have been keeping me close to straight for the last two year. Good luck,Bill

• charlietexan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Bill, I am sure I will have many questions during my journey.

• mes111
    9 years ago

Welcome to the "Masochist's Forum".

But you will have fun.!!!!

Mike

• garybeaumont_gw
    9 years ago

I must say starting an orchard as a first for growing edibles is bold. I would encourage you to contact your county agrilife extension service and see if they have any information that would help you be successful. Plum, pears, and peaches are commonly grown in your area. I use to live in the Dallas area and do not remember anyone growing apples or cherries. The close space fruit tree growing seems to work best in dry climates like California.

I would pay attention to what scottfsmith on this forum writes since he has similar humid conditions like you have.

Someone closer to home is Neil Sperry. I think he still has a call in show on one of the Dallas radio stations on Saturday. He talks more about flowers than fruits but is knowledgeable on both.

You will need to watch out for fire blight on the apples and pears. Peaches and plums are bad about getting brown rot.

This forum has been very interesting for me seeing what everyone is growing and if I have a chance to grow them in southeast Texas. It has saved me money and time by finding out what might be possible and what would be a waste of resources. Just remember, all of us have made mistakes and over time we can be successful growing something.

• charlietexan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

GaryBeaumont,
    Thanks for the information. I purchased Neil Sperry's book a few months ago after hearing him on the radio. His book had pretty limited information about fruit, although there was some good information. His book did help me with my yard though.

I think Texas is just so big and diverse as far as climate goes that it is difficult to write a gardening book about the entire state.

• josephene_gw
    9 years ago

I agree with you Gary. How can one book cover the state of Texas.
    Just heard this morn some on the weather channel describe Texas as
    Desert. They have never been to the Piney Woods of Texas.
    Lived in Silsbee, have a 20 acre place just south of Buna, will be selling
    Soon
    All these people have to do is Google to see the trees and water.

• fireballsocal
    9 years ago

My experience mirrors yours TexanCharlie. I planted 6 trees last spring after watching the fruit tube videos, pruned to knee high except for the 3 in one pluot, mulched and watched them grow. They all grew satisfactorily but nothing like the trees in the fruit tube videos. Those trees are cared for by professionals who do all the right things, may be fertilized, and have some of the best soil and weather conditions available for growing trees. My soil (rocky/sandy) isn't as good, it's much hotter here, and I am a beginner. Even so, I am still excited over the orchard and will plant 14 more trees this winter/spring. Good luck on your project!

• garybeaumont_gw
    9 years ago

Charlie,

The best book I have on growing fruits in Texas is by William Adams and Thomas Leroy called Growing Fruits and Nuts in the South. It is copyrighted in 1992 so it does not have the latest varieties but is written for southern conditions. Mr. Leroy is from Houston.

A book is good for general information and this forum is good to supplement for specific problems. You just have to keep in mind as others have said that all gardening is local. You may be able to get by with closer spaced trees than I can. The main problem I have with stone fruit is humidity and wet soils. Most people in California have no problems at all with humidity but seem to get peach leaf curl at a higher rate.

If your trees did not grow well you may need to add more nitrogen fertilizer. Bermuda grass is good at pulling nutrients from the soil. A soil test will tell if soil is depleted. It is all according to how much the lawn was fertilized before you dug it up. Mulch can also pull some nitrogen from the soil the first year. As it ages it returns the nitrogen to the soil.

• charlietexan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

GaryBeaumont,
    I lived near Houston for the first 24 years of my life and I can say without a shadow of a doubt the humidity you have down there in SouthEast Texas is something else.

When I lived in Houston I didn't notice the humidity so much...I was used to it I guess.....now after living near Denton for the last 15 years when I go back to Houston I notice it instantly.

Also, the soil I had near Houston was black and the soil I have up here is sandy clay.....I am no soil expert and I really don't know which is better for fruit trees. I grew up out in the country and there was plenty of corn and cotton planted in the black soil.

• charlietexan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Fireballsocal,
    I really enjoyed and still enjoy watching those FruitTube videos. I bet Tom Spellman is owed a bit of money not just from Dave Wilson but other bare root sellers as well....I bought 14 trees from Stark Bros. with another 3 on the way.

• josephene_gw
    9 years ago

Why not sow a cover crop under your fruit trees. Crimson clover is
    Very pretty in bloom. I've seen fields of mustard in bloom. There are many other cover crops that will help build your soil.
    Jo

• charlietexan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

josephene,
    I actually think my soil is pretty good where I am located. I had the black soil when I lived near Houston and am not sure about that soil, but I definitely think the soil here is better than what I had down South.

• jwalk2515
    9 years ago

Hey TC, I am right here with you (Corinth/ Denton area) and have a host of new trees this year and some of the Starks in shipping. I do veggies and flowers normally but got adventurous this year and expanding to some trees.