Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrsg47

Newbie orchardist language list

mrsg47
10 years ago

Boy from the 'get go' on this forum terms are used so easily and some of us little guys are still catching up. Is there a site that explains terms like 'second leaf' and 'runted out', mean or do we just ask what that means? Many thanks, Mrs. G

the 'leaf' I take it means the age of the trees? Right? Mrs. G

Comments (9)

• mrsg47
    Original Author
    10 years ago

PS my collections of books are too clinical for certain terms. Thanks again, Mrs. G

• Scott F Smith
    10 years ago

The "leaf" names are a more precise way to name age in years - count the number of times it has leafed out. It can get confusing talking about tree age in winter. Runted trees have stopped growing bigger at some point in its life, that term is usually used when it stopped sooner than the person wanted it to.

There are various glossaries but the terms above are more phrases not words and they may not be in the glossaries. See link below for one glossary I just googled up. I have seen similar glossaries in fruit tree texts, for example I think Childers' book has one.

Scott

Here is a link that might be useful: http://moralesmi.faculty.mjc.edu/plsc/230/Notes/Pruning%20Terms.doc

• mrsg47
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Scott thank you so much! When a tree runts out, does that mean it has also stopped producing fruit, or just growing? Thanks again, Mrs. G

• murkwell
    10 years ago

MrsG,

Runted out means it has stopped growing (much). It may still be producing fruit. In fact, allowing a tree on a very size reducing root stock to bear fruit too earlier is a common cause of runting out.

• olpea
    10 years ago

Mrs. G,

All fruit trees need replacement wood to remain productive. Spur type trees like apples need less replacement wood than non-spur trees like peaches, but even spurs become unproductive and need to be replaced from time to time.

A runted out tree doesn't fill in the space allotted for it and doesn't send out enough replacement wood.

This is typically more an issue with dwarf rootstocks. They are more delicate and can runt out if not managed carefully.

• mrsg47
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Olpea! I only have one peach on a 'dwarf' rootstock. The rest of all of my trees are on 'Semi-dwarf'. Is Semi-dwarf rootstock just as susceptible? Thanks Mrs. G

• olpea
    10 years ago

" Is Semi-dwarf rootstock just as susceptible?

Mrs. G,

As you move up in vigor, the rootstock is less susc. to runting out.

Still semi dwarfs can runt out. I have one apple on M7 that runted out. The spot was too wet and the tree almost died the first two years. My understanding is M7 isn't terribly vigorous anyway (as far as semi-dwarfs go) but the tree has still been too small and too slow for a semi dwarf. For a long time it never did really recover from almost dying.

I doubt your peaches on semi dwarf would runt out. I don't have a lot of experience with semi-dwarf peaches, but even peaches on semi dwarf seem to be plenty vigorous.

This post was edited by olpea on Mon, Jan 20, 14 at 17:55

• mamuang_gw
    10 years ago

Olpea,

Is peach on seedling rootstock a standard-sized one? One of my trees is on "peach" rootstock and the other two were labelled "seedling" rootstocks.

The one on order will be on either Halford or Lovell, I believe.

Scott - thank you for your link. I printed it out for reference.

• olpea
    10 years ago

Mamunag,

Most seedling peaches are standard size. Nemaguard and Redleaf are considered semi-dwarf seedlings, but almost all other peach seedlings are standard.

You wouldn't have Nemaguard that far north, and Redleaf isn't very common. I think you could have reasonable assurance your peaches are on standard roots.

Seedling rootstocks Halford, Lovell, Bailey, Tenn. Nat. and Guardian are all standard.