Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sitesucks

If a nursery doesn't know their rootstock

thepodpiper
9 years ago

Is knowing what rootstock your growing really that important or is it good enough to know that it is a dwarf, semi dwarf etc. ?

When i ask what rootstock a particular
dwarf tree at Stark Bros. was on I was told typically they are grown on m26 or m9 .

I then asked if they could tell me when I order what rootstock the tree was actually on I was told unfortunately they could not.

Is this a common occurrence at nurseries or should I look elsewhere?

Comments (4)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

then one might presume the catalog is more of a middleman ... than a direct nursery ...

thats my best guess ....

i would further bet ... if you wish to accomplish your goal ... you need to buy from the grower direct ... of which.. i am sure the savants here ... will have lists...

ken

• spartan-apple
    9 years ago

Piper:

I too tried buying from Stark Nursery (retail). When I inquired, I was told the variety I wanted was grown on M7 and Bud-118. I would have no choice on what I got. Glad to know the info but I took my business elsewhere.

Yes I do feel rootstock is important to know so I know if I should stake or not, how big tree will get, how far to space
    out the tree and if it will do well in my soil.

Once I bought a Ginger Gold without asking rootstock (was listed semi-dwarf). Tree arrived and was very nice but tag on it said "MM106". My heart sank as I have heavy clay soil. I lost the tree a few years later to collar rot.

I will never buy apple trees again unless I know what the rootstock is. I do buy from Schabach's and they do not list the rootstock. When I call David and ask, he lets me know
    what the choices are and I mark that info on my order. He will honor a request and usually has apple varieties available on many rootstocks. Works great for me!

Others like Raintree list the rootstock choices on each variety up front.

I would suggest you buy your apple trees from a source that lets you know the rootstock. Listing as "semi-dwarf" or
    'Dwarf" does nothing for me.

• clarkinks
    9 years ago

Rootstock is an important thing to know.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

I agree about how poor they are on handling their trees. But I have ordered raspberries and blueberries from them, and they were top rate plants. Very impressive. And have you seen their goji berries? Wow, I might have too try one or two of those cultivars. So even though the info is poor on the trees, I would bet you get some awesome trees from them all the same.
    I love their website where they have a growing guide for every plant they sell. Not just a guide, but what to do for problems, when to spray, what to spray, it's extremely impressive growing guide, no doubt nobody has better! Plus you can update your order all winter without ever contacting them, just pull up your order and change it. The web site is the very best in the industry.
    Why they feel root stock is not important is concerning and makes little sense as everything else about them is very impressive.