Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barberberryfarm

Anyone growing everbearing raspberries in the deep South?

barberberryfarm
16 years ago

Currently, we're testing Heritage raspberries and have had good luck with the 30 we've planted as we picked from them from July through the first hard freeze in November. However, we noticed when the temperatures got consistently about 90 degrees (in late July and August), their photosynthesis process temporarily shut down until we gave them some artificial afternoon shade. Once in place they started ripening again. We've got about an acre shaded in the late afternoon (after around 3 PM) which we'd like to plant 2-4 varieties in, but would love to hear from anyone who has also had success down here where it gets hot and humid in the summer. Most "experts" say you can't grow raspberries down here. I'm looking for someone who has said "yes you can"!

Thanks in advance,

Ken Barber

Millbrook AL

Comments (8)

• barberberryfarm
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Don and you're right. The search for the elusive bababerry is not an easy one. For some reason they disappeared from the retail market in California a couple of years ago. One reason given was that wholesale growers had a hard time growing root stock in a profitable manner or something to that effect. Don't know all the details. However, I'll keep trying and if I find anything, I'll let you know. Thanks again for the lead!

Ken Barber
    Millbrook AL

• barberberryfarm
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Success. After quite a bit of searching on the web, I found some 2 year-old Bababerry plants online at a nursery in Georgia whose reviews were all positive on a variety of forum sites, so I ordered 20 and we'll see how they do. Thanks again!

Ken Barber
    Millbrook AL

• beedenny_yahoo_com
    16 years ago

Is there a trick to keeping the weeds down in the respberry patch? Do you use mulch or plastic or nothing? I live in lower Mississippi and would love to have a patch like we had in Wisconsin. I tried growing them once but the super growing weeds took them.

• barberberryfarm
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I know what you mean about weeds. Here in Alabama, weeds and grass definitely love the humidity. What we do is use a post-emergent herbicide called Poast which does a good job at killing most grasses, but doesn't do much to kill the weeds and nutsedge. We also use a pre-emergent like Surflan or sizamine around the middle of February in an attempt to keep the grass and some small weed seeds from germinating in the spring. I've added a link which describes these and other possibilities you may want to consider in your quest to grow a weed-free raspberry patch. But let me also add, most raspberries shut down their photosynthesis process when it gets over 90 degrees (i.e., the berries will stop ripening), so afternoon shade in some fashion should definitely be in your planning.

Hope this helps.

Ken

Here is a link that might be useful: Weed Management in Blackberries in Florida

• rayrose
    16 years ago

Where did you find the baba plants?

• barberberryfarm
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Rayrose,

I apologize for not responding earlier to your question. I found the bababerries at the Willis Orchard Company in Georgia. I ordered 20 and received them about a week later, all of which were in great shape and packed well. I've included their web link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Willis Orchard Company

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions