Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Storing apples?

Posted by MrsG47 7 RI (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 19, 14 at 11:34

Hi all, next summer if all of the planets align correctly and just the right amount of sun combined with rain occur, I just might have my first big apple crop. Six trees out of eight will be producing. Having walked through my orchard yesterday, I have never seen so many fruiting spurs on my trees. It is exciting!

How do you store apples. My house was built in 1893 and has a very cool stone-walled basement. There is a dehumidifier in the basement as during the summer Newport, RI is referred to as 'mildew by the sea'. Will the smell of mildew permeate my apples? How and where is it best for me to store them? Thank you all so much, Mrs. G

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Storing apples?

• Posted by glib 5.5 (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 19, 14 at 13:50

Hashed many times here: buy an old freezer on Craigslist for $100, buy a brewing thermostat, set the freezer (through the thermostat), at 38F. Enjoy apples until May at least. This is what I do. The thermostat, new, was $60, but surely it can be had for less. I also pre-bag the apples, so I get one bag at a time out of the freezer. Interestingly, the apples in the freezer did not freeze in my unheated garage during the Great Cold of 10 days ago (3 nights with outside temps below -13F). So the freezer really protects them against outside swings (the temp in the garage was around 14F).

Usual disclaimers apply: store only unblemished apples. I have also a large ice chest in the garage where the selected blemished apples go. I just took the last bag of blemished apples out of the chest.

o

Thank you glib. Mrs. G

o

I think your basement is good to store the apple as their storage require a little bit of coolness in order to stay fresh in storage for a longer period of time. Proper storage conditions for apples are a temperature between 30 and 35 degrees Fahrenheit (-1.1 to 1.7 degrees Celsius) and a relative humidity between 90 and 95 percent.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here