Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Would you pay $1/cherry in March?

Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 26, 14 at 11:43

There's a guy in Spain, Oscar Ortiz, growing cherries in huge greenhouses. 165,000 lbs in 12.5 acres greenhouses which is a pretty good yield of 7 tons per acre. The fruit sells as high as $100 per pound!! Fruit is 17-20 brix. Mine runs 25-30 brix but harvest doesn't come until May/June.

I'm extremely impressed that he can harvest that early. He must be getting chilling in Nov and early Dec and then pushing them hard, probably by heating at night, and day if needed. I'm not impressed with the quality especially given that they are being touted as not only the earliest but the best cherries in the world.

I'm still in chill mode in my greenhouse mainly because I've had trouble with the cherry bloom in the past when chilling has ended about Jan 1. My setup is now at 1200 hrs Utah and will probably carry on thru January and ~1300 Utah hrs. If that doesn't give full bloom, well I don't know what will.

The guy in Spain is growing Brooks and Prime Giant. Brooks is listed at 400 hrs so that's part of his secret. I could see getting those very low chill cherries, 200-300 hrs, of Zaigers ripe in March in my setup if that's all I grew and had cheap heat to hold winter nights above 50F.

Here is a link that might be useful: Spanish greenhouse cherries

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Would you pay $1/cherry in March?

No, here in store we get cherries from Chile, allot cheaper.

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 26, 14 at 13:21

konrad:

You don't get them in March. This guy has the world's only March and early April fresh cherries.

o

FN,

Can you build a small section of your green house and installing a small heating system to grow cherries this way, so you have cherries in March,

Tony

o

• Posted by mrclint z10SoCal Valley (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 26, 14 at 14:10

A high end specialty restaurant or resort might pay that kind of money for use in desserts or drinks. But then again the average person doesn't generally appreciate the level of effort needed to provide produce out of season. Personally, I wouldn't pay that much --as citrus, loquats and strawbs are to be had in March.

This year it looks like some blueberries will be had in that timeframe as well:

o

I prefer frozen sweet cherries to fresh anyways....i can buy a pound bag for $2.49 ..people paying that amt of money must have too much money to begin with.

o

Oh March, right...didn't read to the end of your title.

o

I love cherries but what ever happened to "to everything there is a season"? All that energy and fuss when there are plenty of things to eat already and the cherries will come in their own good time. Supposedly growing food helps put you back in touch with seasonal rhythms and natural cycles. Maybe not.

o

Sun, Jan 26, 14 at 14:57

Tony:

Yes I could especially potted but they might end up costing $100 per lb. I spent ~$1,000 outdoors and got a few hundred cherries before cutting down the trees. Canker and frozen out three years running. So I'd go broke at $1 per cherry.

I guess those Russian and oil baron billionaires will pay anything for a special item.

o

Sun, Jan 26, 14 at 15:00

Steve:

Forget nature when there's $$$$$$ to chase. But I agree, mostly.

o

Sun, Jan 26, 14 at 15:03

I forgot, he has a patent on growing greenhouse cherries!!! Guess I'll have to find another way to get rich!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here