Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'Opal' apple

Posted by groall 8 (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 31, 11 at 12:11

Been looking for a couple bare root semi "Opal" apple trees....can't seem to locate any, maybe because they are not being sold to the public, yet they have been around for a half dozen years or so.....you can buy the apples in the market....nice yellow with red blush, sweet and crispy not to juicy....cross between Yellow Delicious and another apple, can't think of it right now.......any one have a source...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'Opal' apple

Here's a quote from another site.

"The Opal, discovered in Europe in 1999, is grown exclusively in the U.S. by Ralph Broetje of Broetje Orchards, Prescott, Wash., The variety is available only through FirstFruits Marketing and is available from March through May, or as long as supplies last, according to the release."

If the apple is successful you may never get your hands on it.

I do not know what the situation is here but one trend now is to trademark a variety instead of patenting it. The trademark could go on forever unlike a patent. I don't suppose a trademark prevents propagating but it does prevent you from calling what you propagated the trademark Any lawyers on here care to clarify?

Robert

o

Robert, you are correct - a patent prevents propagating and a trademark prevents you from using the indicated name. Patents expire; I don't know how long trademarks last, I think as long as it is in active use it can be enforced. Pink Lady (TM) is I believe the out of patent Cripps Pink variety for example.

See below for a link to an article on the recent club apple trend. In looking at this article I think the good news is there will be so many of these hitting the market that the whole club apple thing may go bust. Consumers can only take so many new names thrown at them before it all starts to blur.

Scott

Here is a link that might be useful: Club apple trend

o

It's a cross between Yellow Delicious and Topaz, or so it says here:

Opal Apple

I highly recommend apple fans to try this apple.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here