Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnthecook

goldrush apple tree

johnthecook
12 years ago

I planted a bareroot goldrush tree last year. I cut it down to where I wanted the first limbs to grow. The central leader grew well but now I have two limbs on one side that are very long. But none on the otherside except two little stubs. Should I let it go and see what happens with the two little stubs or start over again.

Comments (10)

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    12 years ago

The little stubs aren't going to catch up to the large vigorous shoots. Waiting for that won't get you where you want. Without a picture it's hard to say much more. But you will probably need to head back either the vigorous shoots or the central leader to balance up the tree.

After that use training as much as possible to move limbs where needed. This can fill in blank areas. Spreading will turn a small upright canopy into a much bigger canopy in short order.

• thomis
    12 years ago

John, I'm in the same boat with several trees I started. Fruitnut's advice is right on. It's a hard decision to head it back all over again but in the long run it will do better. The trick is to "be there" when the shoots begin, to guide them early on. If I had only a couple trees it would be so hard to head it back once again. But with 20 or 30 trees, it's easier to make the sacrifice.

• alan haigh
    12 years ago

I don't think you have to remove them if they are less than half the diameter of the trunk where they are attached- the variety being Goldrush. It is so spurry that wood doesn't tend to run away from you but instead slows down to fruit production.

However, because you cut to the point you wanted branches they are probably oversized. I don't think this is a good way to induce branching for a whip unless you follow it up with pinch pruning to reduce the vigor of your chosen scaffolds and let the most perpendicular shoot dominate to be the leader. The scaffolds should usually be pinched several times during growing season to generate and subdue secondary branches and maintain a straight leader on the scaffold.

Secondary branching is generally induced more efficiently by pruning after branches begin growth. However, I wouldn't do this with a whip because it would probably reduce growth the first year. Generally speaking, the best thing to do is to leave the whip alone until it begins to bear fruit besides removing excessively thick branches. "Excessively thick" branches are more than a third the diameter of the trunk (at point of attachment to the trunk) for vigorous varieties and half for less vigorous ones.

• jethro75
    12 years ago

Not to change the subject, but I saw this post and just happen to be eating the first of the Goldrush apples that I had in storage, they are awsome. This was the first year I had enough that I could keep this long in storage.

• johnthecook
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It's gonna be a few years before I get one on my tree. I did find a online seller of Goldrush and I'm gonna order some next fall to see how they are.

• jethro75
    12 years ago

Just make sure to save some in storage for a couple of months, they are much better after being stored, IMHO. I picked mine in late October /Early November and started eating them in the begining of February and I am still eating them.

• johnthecook
    Original Author
    12 years ago

This apple sounds like a real winner!

• bart1
    11 years ago

I've been eating Goldrush apples from my local farmers market since they reopened in May. The farm that supplies them is from Adams County, PA (of all places), and they are fantastic. They're crunchy, and tart and sweet - just a wonderful taste.

I'm thinking about putting in a tree next spring although I don't know if I can match the storage conditions they have on the farm, but the idea of eating my own apples in May/June/July is appealing!

• johnthecook
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I planted three all together and hopefully I will get some next year. I will be happy if it says good through the winter.

• Noogy
    11 years ago

I got some beautiful Goldrush on b118 from Cummins. It's a vigorous rootstock that will supposedly be kept down to semi-d by the scions' lack of vigor. I once thought apples to be far inferior to tropical fruits until i got into the different cultivars. I was truly poor, relegated to the realm of the red delicious...

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!