Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeff2007

persimmon scionwood source?

jeff2007
17 years ago

Mainly interested in kaki (oriental), but also have limited interest in late dropping native.

I would like contact info for anyone selling persimmon scion wood.

thanks!

Jeff

Comments (9)

• walterupchurch
    17 years ago

iam going to bud 100 this june might have some

• lucky_p
    17 years ago

The NCGR persimmon collection at UC-Davis is available, but I think the deadline for requesting budwood is Dec. 1

Jeff, you might check with some of the foks in the Horticulture Dept. at Auburn - they've got a number of D.kaki selections growing there, and might be willing to supply scionwood from some of those.

Here is a link that might be useful: NCGR Diospyros collection

• jeff2007
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Walter,

What variety do you have?

Lucky p, I did order several from the NCGR collection. They have not arrived yet. I assume they will ship in February. I did check at Auburn and found one variety that is on my list (suruga). They are supposed to call me when they have some pruned branches back in Auburn and I will pick them up.

I was hoping to find a company somewhere that would have a list of varieties of scion wood for sale.

Jeff

• lucky_p
    17 years ago

Compared to the number of nurseries that offer the more conventional fruit trees, like apples, pears, peaches, etc., there aren't nearly so many that specialize in persimmons, and even the few that may carry a few persimmons usually have a very limited offering. I'm not aware of many commercial outfits that offer persimmon scionwood for sale - only one I can think of, off the top of my head, is John H. 'Nuttree' Gordon, Jr., in Amherst, NY and he what he's got are D.virginiana selections.

I've currently got somewhere in the neighborhood of 35 D.virginiana and 10-12 D.kaki varieties grafted and growing, with a handful having reached fruiting age(only kaki to fruit here, so far, has been 'Great Wall'), and other than 3 selections, I've obtained scions from all the rest, in trade or just for the asking, from other fruit enthusiasts and friends.

If you're not a NAFEX member, let me recommend it - I've got contacts and 'friends' all over the country who've allowed me access to plant materials I'd never have even know about otherwise.

Here is a link that might be useful: NAFEX

• greenwitch
    17 years ago

I have Suruga, Chocolate, Hyakume and Maru if you're interested. I could spare some wood. When is the best time for grafting persimmons? I know they break dormancy later than one would expect although earlier in SoCal than the rest of the country.

• joereal
    17 years ago

Best time is when you see the first tiny leaf on the destination branch spread open. That's the best time to graft using bark grafting on a limb.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bark Grafting Pictorial Demo

• jeff2007
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Lucky p,
    thanks for the link. I just sent a check for a 3 year membership to NAFEX. Should be worth it just for the publication.

Greenwitch,
    suruga is the one variety you have that I needed, but I have found it locally. I'll post a list of the 4 or 5 oriental varieties that I have been unable to find on Monday. Should have confirmation from most of my contacts by then.

Thanks for all the info everyone.

• Darkman
    10 years ago

Dragging up an old thread but the questiob still remains. i need Asian Persimmon graftwood. Saijo, Matsumoto, Fuyu and a few others.

Anyone near Pensacola, Fl?

• strudeldog_gw
    10 years ago

Darkman,

You can email me and this winter I can send you some.