Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Banana plant in Automated Hydroponic System problems/worries?

Posted by Recuurve none (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 22, 14 at 12:59

I was hoping to find some sort of forum where I could discuss possible problems with my plant that I'm growing in a Grow Tent with a halogen bulb and a hydroponics system.
It is my first grow using this system and so far I have seen a brand new leaf grow every 3-6 days. I began misting the plant because I felt like in its natural climate it would be rained on heavily, however I have noticed a few silver brush-like marks on the surface of the leaves- you can see these in the picture attached. I am not going to be misting the plant from now on, however the other dark patches on the leaves worry me- are they normal? Thank you for your help.
I may also post in this same discussion another problem with the most recent leaf. Details later

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Banana plant in Automated Hydroponic System problems/worries?

This is the most recent leaf. At first it looked healthy, but it seems like it grows yellow at the edges and has a slight white colour to the very edge of the leaf. I don't really have a lot of experience with growing plants so quickly, especially in a system such as this. I hope someone can help me fix the problems with my plant

o

I'm sorry, I know nothing about your question, but there are forums here for hydroponics and one for bananas, I believe. If you click on the Forums link on the menu bar you should find a comprehensive list.

Here is a link that might be useful: Banana Forum

This post was edited by emmers_m on Thu, Jan 23, 14 at 9:23

o

Those brown spots are normal on the banana plant especially on the Cavendish variety. . It will lose them when it becomes mature. Now the silver strips, I haven't seen those.

o

Yeah, I wasn't too sure where to put this question.
And thank you, I was slightly worried as they are all over my newer leaves but as long as they aren't a sign of impending doom for my plant it's fine. Is the yellow edges of leaves signs of some sort of general deficiency- like a calcium deficiency? Since it is in a tent, maybe it has used up all of the carbon in the air and that's why it is turning yellow?

o

No way to use up all the carbon in the air.

You need to go to the Hydroponics Forum because those folks are familiar with the growing system you're using.

Go to http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/hydro/

Here is a link that might be useful: Hydroponics Forum

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here