Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dormant/emergent spray for stone fruit

Posted by ahajmano sunset 23, Mission V (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 16, 14 at 13:14

Hello all,

Dormancy is breaking super early thanks to a heat wave here in Cali. The majority of my stone fruits however are still silver tip, and have not begun blooming yet. I would like to get in my winter dormant spray. UC extension recommends an application of spinosad and dormant oil. I have a few questions:

What brand/type of dormant oil is popular on the forums?
Can you mix spinosad and dormant oil so I only need to apply 1 time this month?

Thanks for your responses!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dormant/emergent spray for stone fruit

Most people use any horticultural oil. I prefer a dormant-only oil, those are thicker and I expect they smother pests better. Golden pest spray oil is one such dormant-only oil.

I'm not sure why they are recommending spinosad in dormant season, its a waste for us since the bugs are all hibernating but maybe in California there is a reason. It can be combined with the oil. Make sure to also look into if you need copper (shot hole) or lime-sulphur (peach leaf curl).

Scott

o

Just something I noticed is I read conflicting info about mixing dormant oil and lime sulfur, but i figured it out. it will kill leaves, but is ok to use if dormant. The labels were confusing. I use this mix. But cannot really comment on how well it works for a few years. I might switch to other products too. i have it on hand, so I'm using it.

o

I would love to hear from social people on what they are doing this odd year

84 here today. If the trees had leaves. Oil would burn them.

o

• Posted by ahajmano sunset 23, Mission V (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 17, 14 at 11:52

I tried spraying the trees yesterday, and was dissapointed at how much over-spray I had. I consumed almost an entire gallon of spray and only hit 5 small (5'X5') trees.

o

Thats a problem in dormant spray. I make the stream more narrow and move it along the branches; it takes practice to get good with that but you use less spray than with a broad setting.

Scott

o

"84 here today. If the trees had leaves. Oil would burn them."

Well it could burn the bark too if hot enough! Oil can be used on leaves if temps are not high, and it won't hit 84 here till June. Oil and sulfur a no no on leaves.

o

• Posted by ahajmano sunset 23, Mission V (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 20, 14 at 12:00

I doubt I am going to get my chill hours this year

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here