Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
normansfarm

Thornless blackberries?

NormansFarm
9 years ago

Hey everyone, I'm wanting to start a thornless blackberry bush, but I'm not sure what kind to buy. I live in north Florida which is zone 8b. They grow wild on my family's farm, but have thorns so I'm wanting to start some at my house. If anyone can give me some suggestions I would appreciate it.

Comments (6)

• gator_rider2
    9 years ago

Osage is new one out should be good flavor berry. I'm trying von blackberries will have crop this year. keep out wet spot they all drought easy when sand wet. I got plenty of Ouachita blackberry plants, I live at Glennville georgia not in town but 5 miles out where you in north florida just town name in few weeks going make trip visiting blue farms that way north florida long to west I'm off US 301 in georgia. I pull some ouachita up for you they free need thin one bed. I have tupy blackberries no spare plant now they thorny, but take heat. thornless berries taste green more but pick one day eat next there good the day pick druplets be very good extra day for center berry. I raise on farm with a lot wild blackberries all blackberry plants need fertile soil sand best.

• jtburton
    8 years ago

gator rider. How did you like von blackberries? I'm reworking a lot of my current plantings and I'm considering von as an option.

• Charlie
    8 years ago

I recommend the Arkansas Prime Freedom.

• jtburton
    8 years ago

I added 4 Prime Ark Freedom earlier this year but they are about 2 weeks from being ripe. I also have a section of Prime Ark 45 that have been ripening for the past 6 weeks. I tried the double pruning method which kept them compact and stimulated them to start fruiting earlier. Unfortunately, earlier (e.g. in hotter weather) is not necessarily better for primocane-fruiting blackberries because the berry quality has been low. Now I'm battling yellow jackets for the berries...there is always something competing for my fruit.

In addition to the Prime Ark's, I have about 4 or 5 Triple crown plants, a section of Ouachita, a couple of Osage, and a couple of Loch Ness. Osage has proven to be easy to maintain and the flavor is a notch better than all of the others except Triple Crown. I'm going to add more Osage next year and also another variety or two...probably Natchez and another variety.

I'm in the process of removing all of my grapevines, so I have a decent amount of space for several other varieties. I'm also reducing the number of trailing blackberries too..too much work for too little reward.

• gator_rider6
    8 years ago

I've only had few berries off von this year, because slow start on froze plants out 15 plants only six lived. Berries was very bitter (green center cone) picking dull black drupelets. Going keep plants one more year check taste and production here my zone, a row over was Tupy and Ouachita production taste was good. Osage also had great flavor.

• jtburton
    8 years ago

It's been a bad year here for blackberries too. Half of my triple crown blackberry plants died from the cold winter and nearly all of the canes on my other blackberry plants were killed off too. I had a few Ouachita and Osage, both seem to be more cold hardy than TC, and Osage flavor ranks pretty good for me. I'm going to add more Osage next year and also add some Natchez. I have room for one more variety. I'm also thinking about trying the 'sweetie pie' variety but not sure it would be cold hardy enough for where I live.