Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chrishashtags_gw

Is this an avocado tree?

Chris
9 years ago

We bought a house last year and this tree was in the backyard. To my non-expert eye it looks like an avocado. Can someone help me ID it?

There were no avocados on it last year... Maybe it's too young? How old would a tree this size be?

Comments (8)

• Chris
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And here's a close up of the leaves.

• Lars
    9 years ago

In California, you generally need two avocado trees for pollination, but if there are other trees in your neighborhood, then that is not a problem. It looks like an avocado tree, but it would be easier to tell if you have photos of the flowers.

Lars

• Chris
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Shoot. I think I'm out of room in my yard for more trees and I haven't noticed any avocados in the neighborhood.

No signs of flowers yet. Avocados start blooming about now, don't they? Maybe it's still a little too early.

• fireduck
    9 years ago

C...that is definitely an avocado tree. Of course, this is an educated guess...but the growth pattern suggests it may be a "Bacon" variety. That would be of "Mexican" heritage regardless. They are more cold-hearty than others. It appears you may have "persea mite" damage on those leaves. No bigee...but google that...and you will see what I mean. At that age...it would be tough to see a graft scar (about a foot up)...but if it was grown from somebody's seed...it probably will not fruit. Chances are it will bear. Hope this helps...

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

Avocado trees are supposed to not cross with just any old other avocado, same as with apple trees. So random other clonal cultivars or seedlings (specimens raised from seeds) growing in the vicinity (or being planted intentionally) won't necessarily result in fertilization and fruiting of this one at all.

• Chris
    Original Author
    9 years ago

There's a pretty poorly maintained apple tree about 3 feet to the left of this one so I'm guessing a previous owner decided they wanted a little orchard but didn't know what they were doing--and probably didn't grow from seed.

It sounds like I might just have to consider this an ornamental tree. Nothing lost I suppose.

This post was edited by ChrisHashtags on Sat, Jan 24, 15 at 15:47

• MrsLizzy K
    9 years ago

Chris--I'm in the Monterey Bay area, and I planted two avocado trees which shot up very rapidly. Mine would have been that tall in 2 years after planting if I hadn't cut the central trunk to get more branching. In case that helps you estimate the age of the tree--I'd say YOUNG but I'm no expert. If it is young, you shouldn't let it fruit for a few years even if it does set fruit, because you want it to concentrate on strong roots and structure first. But yes, a lot of people plant seeds so let's hope it's a grafted tree.

• fireballsocal
    9 years ago

An Avacado can take 12 years of growing before it starts fruiting so don't be too frustrated. Also, my fuerte avocado had it's first horrible crop this year out of the 5 I have owned the house. There are only 3 fruit on the entire 25 year old tree so yours may have just had a bad year. I recommend painting that lower trunk to keep it from sun burning. Any light color interior latex paint diluted 50% with water will work.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?