Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need some rehab help for poorly planted fruit trees

Posted by jflo CA z9 (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 21, 14 at 14:30

I've recently moved to a new home. There are some young fruit trees planted (apple, nectarine, and pluot) that were buried all the way down to the graft point rather than just where the roots join. The couple w/ the graft point well out of the ground have just as much growth on the root stock as the intended fruit tree.

Any harm in trimming the excess growth off the rootstock now? Any harm in digging down to where the roots joined and making a bigger trough around the tree? I'm a bit worried the trunk will rot. CA's been in a drought the last couple of years, but the previous owners had set up an irrigating line - no idea how often it was turned on though.

I don't have too much experience with fruit trees myself, but I would like these to survive since they are already there. Any other tips to get these on the right track (including links to other threads that may have discussed this) would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need some rehab help for poorly planted fruit trees

jflo, No harm in pruning the rootstock now. No real benefit in digging out the dirt to increase the trough size. I'd bite the bullet and lift the tree up to it's proper depth. Think of it as buying a bare rooted tree. Ps, I always planted trees on the high side to overcome the problem of soil settling after planting and drowning a few years later. This may be a good time to relocate them if you want.

o
RE: Need some rehab help for poorly planted fruit trees

• Posted by jflo CA z9 (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 22, 14 at 11:43

Thanks! Will keep in mind the height for future plantings of my own as well - good advice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here