Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tonytranomaha

Top work American Persimmon tree

Tony
9 years ago

If you would like to grow many different American persimmon varieties but with limited space. You can topworked with Bark, Cleft, or W&T. The after care is important to keep the tree balance. Below is my multi American persimmon tree with the original Meader under stock: Early Golden, WS8-10, 100-43, Geneva Long, Knightville, H-118, H-120, U-20A, Lena and MB#3. I bark grafted them 4 yrs ago.

Tony

This post was edited by tonytran on Mon, Jan 26, 15 at 15:35

Comments (10)

• creekweb
    9 years ago

Tony, I'm not surprised that you're up to the task of managing all those grafts, but I would think that this should be recommended for only the very diligent among us. Unless it's forced to do so, that tree does not want to maintain that habit - it wants to find one leader to take over. So as the tree grows the peripheral grafts will be especially vulnerable to self-pruning, and I can see how maintaining the balance can be particularly challenging. You'll really have to know your tree. Good luck!

The alternative of closely planted trees with each variety on its own rootstock at least aligns the trees' tendencies with your own intentions and removes the problem with self-pruning the grafts.

• Tony
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Creek
    I turned my yard into an edible landscaping. I am trying to incorporate specimen tree to make them eye catching. Multi grafted fruit tree fit the bill. I don't mind the labor to meet the end product.

Tony

• lucky_p
    9 years ago

What creek said...
    Persimmons are noted for 'self-pruning' lower branches, as they become shaded by the heightening/widening canopy.
    I was told that Jim Claypool grafted male pollenizers into a number of trees, but as they grew, the branches bearing the male varieties 'disappeared' within a few years, as the tree self-pruned them out.

• Tony
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lucky

Thanks for clarification. Creek infos were good. I just loved the look on those cocktail trees. BTW, it wasn't easy to keep all those guys under one stock. My pruner will keep them in check.

Tony

This post was edited by tonytran on Tue, Jan 27, 15 at 15:38

• ampersand12
    9 years ago

Very impressive work, Tony. Thank you for sharing.

I like how you have them pruned into almost a bush form, must make it easy to harvest.

• Tony
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ampersand

I started out with a Meader persimmom tree. I headed at 2 feet and let it branched out with many branches then bark grafted a bunch of varieties on them.

Tony

• tomIL
    9 years ago

Tony,

Does all intended grafts success at first take?

Tom

• Tony
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Tom

I had very good success with Bark graft with about 95% take. I used electrical tape to bind the union tightly then wrapped it with parafilm to prevent dry out. After care is important, every couple days, I had to rub off all the new growth below the grafts so all the nutrients only go to the grafts. You can follow the Bark graft video below. It will work on majority of fruit trees.

Tony

Here is a link that might be useful: Bark graft

• bear_with_me
    9 years ago

Tony,

Thank you for describing your method. I think the open center pruning job is beautifully done. Since there is not a central leader, I wonder if you have solved the problem of self-pruning.

My persimmons are only just beginning. Two weeks ago I planted a new Yates persimmon tree. "Tree" is stretching the definition, it is only about feet tall. I also have Saijo, about 7 foot tall, and Nikita's Gift, about 4 foot tall. I imagine it will be a long time before I see any persimmons.

Meanwhile, I can enjoy seeing your tree flourish! Beautiful tree!

Daniel
    Vancouver Washington

• tomIL
    9 years ago

Tony,

You're definitely one dedicated gardener! It takes years to get where your trees are at now. I really admired your works.

Tom