Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thecityman

Map of free fruit growing in your town

I recently came across this app/site and thought I'd share. Basically, it is an interactive map (wiki style) that gives the location of fruit and nut trees that are on public land/public locations and therefore available for public gathering. In the Nashville, TN area, for example, it has 90 locations where fruit is growing in public places-everything from figs, pears, apples, pecans, and more. It might also give you an opportunity to get some scion wood if you found a wonderful producer, though you wouldn't know the variety.
I am posting it here because I just found it, it is very fruit related and unique, and I thought you might also like to know about it. However, I can also see some negative potential to the whole idea, so please don't just take my posting it as a full endorsement. I wanted you folks to know about it decide for yourselves whether it is a good or a bad thing. What concerns me is that a few sites on the map said things like "tree is on private property but hangs over sidewalk". A couple fig trees were shown as being "in the parking lot of a doctors office. That is not "public property" in my mind. It also gave location of a natural bee hive that was on public property (park), but the idea of one person taking and/or destroying a hive to get some honey or queen bee infuriates me. By now you are probably angry and wondering why I'd post such a site, but I see a lot of positive in it as well and I figure you are all adults and can determine for yourselves if it is a good or bad thing. Like most things in life, if managed properly it has potential to be a positive, helpful site. Many trees that were in legitimate public places came with notes saying "every year bushels of fruit (or nuts) just fall to the ground and go to waste (or block/stain sidewalks)". More than one location note said "tree is in private yard but owner has posted a sign saying "Please take all the fruit you want". That is the kind of thing that appealed to me and made me want to at least share it and let you decide if it is a good or bad thing.

http://fallingfruit.org/

Comments (2)