Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mwiehn

Mirabelle or Yellow Plum

marcindy
17 years ago

Hello, I did a search on Mirabelles, but didn't find the answer to my question. I grew up in southwestern Germany in the border region to France. One of the big delights of late summer were the Mirabelle fruit trees. I would like to introduce my family and neighbors to this great fruit. Two questions: I live in Indianapolis, IN, which is zone 5b, are Mirabelles going to be winter hardy in my region? And if so, where is a good mail order source for Mirabelle trees?

Your help and suggestions are greatly apprecaited. Thanks in advance!

Marc

Comments (17)

• Embothrium
    17 years ago

Names of some mirabelle plums include 'Mirabelle', 'Mirabelle de Metz', 'Mirabelle de Nancy' ('Drap d'Or'), 'Mirabelle d'Octobre' ('Late Mirabelle'), and 'Mirabelle Herrenhausen' ('Mirabelle Double de Herrenhausen'). Maybe if you search by cultivar name domestic sources for one or two will pop up.

• ashok_ncal
    17 years ago

Marcindy,

I'm pretty sure that Mirabelle-type plums would be hardy in your area, but perhaps someone from your vicinity will come forward with more accurate advice.

Mirabelles are certainly available in the U.S. -- Raintree Nursery carries a number of selections, I believe. Raintree is located in Washington State, however, so you might want to check whether there are nurseries closer to your location that you could order from.

• Embothrium
    17 years ago

Searching Raintree for "mirabelle" returns 8 items.

Here is a link that might be useful: Raintree Nursery Catalog Search

• Konrad___far_north
    17 years ago

Hello Marc,
    I'm pretty sure you're looking for the small plum, [Mirabelle von Nancy] see in the link below, I have this one growing in my zone, but no fruit yet.
    I had them in Switzerland, also large ones, Reineclaude.
    Konrad

Here is a link that might be useful: Gelbe Pflaume Mirabelle von Nancy

• Embothrium
    17 years ago

"This variety is a hit in farmers markets throughout France, eaten fresh or made into Brandy. As good today as it was in 1790. It ripens in August. Nancy is a city in the Alsace Lorraine region of Northeastern France. The fruit is more oval in shape and the tree more upright grower than the similar cultivar 858. Needs a pollinizer."

Here is a link that might be useful: Mirabelle De Nancy plum

• Konrad___far_north
    17 years ago

Mirabelle von Nancy came from Asia and was cultivated in Greece already 2500 years ago, later it came
    to Italy and France.
    Most European Plums are self fertile, including this one.

• brandur
    16 years ago

Marcindy,
    I'm about 50 miles south of you, & I am also looking to buy a couple varieties of Mirabelle. I too discovered them in Germany, though I didn't know what they were at the time. If you find anything, please let us know! I'll do the same.
    Good Luck!

• murkwell
    16 years ago

This is a bit of a piggyback but relevant enough I thought I'd give it a try.

Does anybody know of a source of scion wood for some of these Mirabelles? There weren't any at the Home Orchard Society Scion Exchange in the Portland area this year and I don't remember seeing them on UC Davis' list.

• strugglinggardener10
    16 years ago

I have become interested in planting some mirabelles at my high desert home. I have a tree at my Colorado home that has excellent fruit. In fact the tree is badly damaged by bears climbing in it to get the fruit. That one is in zone 4 so cold doesn't seem a problem but how about heat?
    What's your experience with the new plantings?
    Any advice?
    Thanks

• marcindy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Everyone, thanks so much for all your input and research. WOW! I will definitely look it up and try to establish it here. Konrad, thanks for pointing the difference out, I remember my grandparents calling the larger fruits Reineclaudes, but as a kid I definitely preferred the Nancy Mirabelles. And lot's of encounters with wasps on those as well... LOL.

• greenwitch
    16 years ago

Re: scion wood, the US germplasm repository in Davis has several cultivars of Mirabelles (and many more stonefruits).

• Konrad___far_north
    16 years ago

>>but as a kid I definitely preferred the Nancy MirabellesI remember this one too, a lovely little plum, not so much juice but sure taste good, matures right after Reineclaude.

This was my first trial crop, not really hardy for my zone 3, nevertheless a few to taste, surprisingly this one is free stone.
    Konrad
    {{gwi:57326}}

• User
    16 years ago

Thanks Konrad for the picture, I grew up in northern Alsace , we had Mirabelles, Quetches and such, even made schnaps with the left over.
    I live in Menlo Park CA the chill hours here are probably too low for a decent Mirabelles production, I started with fig trees and now am looking for cuttings of different varieties.

Thanks again for the memories

Ficus

• jab64
    16 years ago

Could anyone please tell me where I can buy a mirabelle plum tree. I tried a couple of nurseries on the WEB, only to find out that they were sold out for the season. Apparently Mirabelle plums are a rarity in the Midwest (I live in Iowa) and none of the local nurseries know what I am talking about! I would be grateful for any help in locating a supplier for this wonderful tree. -->Panafra@mchsi.com
    Thanks,
    Jacques

• ianb_co
    16 years ago

I received a Geneva Mirabelle from Cummins Nursery a couple of weeks ago; it, along with the Green Gage plum, pear and apples I ordered were all very good trees. They may still be shipping.

Ian

• Scott F Smith
    16 years ago

I think they are done. Raintree may still have something.

I have gotten only one mirabelle off of one of my trees and I found it too low in acid. I am hoping that was a fluke. Or maybe it is because I ate it right after eating a super-tart-sweet pluot.

Scott

• altadenamara
    16 years ago

Raintree seems to be sold out of mirabelles, but if you email them, they might know another retail source. They still offer Reine de Mirabelles, which may be a cross between a gage (reineclaude) and a mirabelle, as well as a few gages. RdM needs a pollinizer. My second year RdM tree flowered heavily, but doesn't seem to be setting any fruit. Kirk's Blue was (and is still) flowering at the same time, is listed as a pollinizer, so pollination wasn't the problem. Gages and mirabelles are risky here because of low chill hours, but I'm getting a good fruit set so far on my second year Golden Transparent Gage and Coe's Golden Drop (a greengage seedling), as well as a few sets on Kirk's Blue. My Mirabelle de Nancy and Mirabelle de Metz from Raintree are on their first year, so it's too soon to say if they will produce here or not. One Green World still has some gage trees for sale also, if you like reineclaudes.
    Rumer Godden wrote a book "Greengage Summer", made into a movie "The Loss of Innocence" starring Susannah York, about a family staying in France at a hotel with a greengage orchard. The adventures happen as the children stuff themselves with gage plums every chance they get. Interesting reading, watching.

Here is a link that might be useful: One Green World plums

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!