Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quinoah_gw

can goji become invasive?

quinoah
16 years ago

hi!

I heard goji's can become invasive, but I dont know in which way. suckers? fallen fruit? shoots which root on the ground?

are they hard to move from a place?(sprouting from roots?)

thanks for help!

Comments (21)

• gonebananas_gw
    16 years ago

In a quick search, it looks like it is.

http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=LYCH

• denninmi
    16 years ago

Let me tell you, the answer to your question is a big "YES" -- I planted one about 4 years ago, and I'm so sorry I did. It sprawls everywhere, roots in any place it touches the ground, and then the sprouts are impossible to get rid of. Every last little tiny piece of root left in the ground sprouts again, rapidly, and the whole thing grows very fast. It's trying to take over a whole flowerbed where I planted it, and it strangles everything in its path.

The berries are nasty-tasting, fresh or dried (I bought a bag at Costco to try -- yucky!). It's just a big weed, in my opinion. It's going to meet Mr. Roundup this spring.

• joereal
    16 years ago

Fortunately, they get wiped out in my yard, without me lifting a finger. Too hot during the summer perhaps?

• chills71
    16 years ago

i've got a single clump that has been very well-behaved for me. (well, I'd be happier if I got fruit, but its not spread or tried whipping me as I walk by or anything)

I did just move them into full sun (they were in 1/2 or so shade previously) so maybe I'll see a different character henceforth.

~Chills

• dbeautybug
    16 years ago

Hi, I would love to take some of those goji plants off your hands. My health has deteriorated tremendously this last year and I'm slowly losing all my eyesight. I have changed my diet and now do all I can to maintain all the strength I have left and that includes juicing lots of fruits and vegetables and eating goji berries(ALSO GOJI POWDER-YUCK!I KNOW) They are so expensive but I have to tell you my doctors have noticed a difference since I change my eating habits. I've posted ads to trade for all kinds of fruit cuttings,if your interested in trading look at my list. Or let me know, I can pay postage. I'm a 35 yr old mom who's broke because I can no longer work or I'd offer to buy them. Thanks so much for your time.

Here is a link that might be useful: my list

• gojiltd
    16 years ago

There you go

Here is a link that might be useful: Click here to get your Goji

• chills71
    16 years ago

gojitd....soliciting is not allowed on Gardenweb.

Besides I think the poster was looking for a source for the plants, not a juice product.

If my plants survive the moving I did in Jan, I'll offer up cuttings in the spring if you're still interested, dbeautybug.

~Chills

• cassiet12345
    11 years ago

Hi there,
    We moved into a house that had 2 huge goji berry plants and removed them because they had big spikes on them and we didn't know what they were (insert collective "noooo!!!!!" here). Since then, they've been coming up all over the place, several feet away from where the plants originally were. I also noticed one in my neighbour's planter box, which must have been spread by a bird since it's on a cement patio. I've never tried goji berries, though now that I know what they are I might try transplanting some of the shoots to a pot. The spikes are pretty terrible though, and the dead goji branches are painful to move.

• Raw_Nature
    11 years ago

Hey Cassiet did you have a picture of th goji before removing it? I am interested in buying a few plants but I don't know the growth habit, thus where to put them.. Are they a bush, tree or what? What should i space them?

Thanks,
    Joe

• kittymoonbeam
    11 years ago

What Goji tasted so awful? All the dried ones I tried were sweet and tasty. Sorry to hear about the plants being like weeds. I like them better than raisins.

But there is a caution to any of you on diabetes or some other medications that goji will be harmful so please check it out first.

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    11 years ago

I like Goji berries too.
    They're like a floppy shrub. Brady

• Raw_Nature
    11 years ago

Brady:

Did you ever grow goji? Do you think it would do well in my 5x70 strip of blueberries and other fruiting shrubs spaced 4' centers, almost hedge like? I always seen pictures of huge goji bushes looking wild, i am trying to find out their true growth habit, and how big they get at maturity?.. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
    Joe

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    11 years ago

Raw Nature,
    I'm growing it right now,howbeit mine is just a little one right now.I plan on installing an upright trellis and attaching it to that as it grows.
    Remember, we have the pruners and are the masters. Brady

• Raw_Nature
    11 years ago

Man talk about leggy! Ye I uddrstand we could control anything with pruners.. But like a tip fruiting fruit tree, if you try to control size and prune all the tips, you aren't going to get much fruit.. I assume goji grows similar to other fruiting shrubs... I'll probably rather be safe then sorry an place it where it has plenty of room to grow..

Thanks,
    Joe

• Elizabeth Stone
    8 years ago

My brother in law planted our Goji plant. Today I cut it down with a chain saw. It is seriously invasive. It should be planted in a wide open space away from literally everything. The limbs are spiky too. I tried to find a way to kill it. No success yet. I want to burn it. The berries are delicious but not worth the consequences of invasiveness!

• Charlie
    8 years ago

I have lots of goji sprouts that I will trade for almost anything. This picture shows my plants.

• Mary Leek
    8 years ago

Charlie, I can't see any way to message you about a trade? I'd like to contact you or if you'd prefer, you can reach me at mleek at comcast dot net ... my thanks, Mary

• crawecaw
    7 years ago

don't forget that birds eat the berries of this invasive non-native species, so once you plant it, local control or containment means nothing. it is many times more invasive than the forest destroying cursed privet and as it matures, develops enormous thorns. plant blackberries if you want a tough easy to propagate suckering plant. they taste better too.

• Konrad..just outside of Edmonton Alberta
    6 years ago

Not invasive enough for the rugged north...keep dying out....Goji are best dried in a soup, vegetable etc...that's how Asians use it.

• Leah Lowe
    2 years ago

I despise this weed. I have a half acre property and the gojis have taken over about 1/5 of it. I sprained my back trying to dig and pull these. They are horrid. We practically destroy the ground trying to dig out the “motherships” yet shoots still come back. Leave them for 3 weeks in Colorado and you have 2-3 foot tall plants again. Some are growing in rocks and among tree roots so I just have to cut them back. But they keep growing and sprouting. I will be battling this horrible plant as long as I live on this property. It’s really awful enough to move. I’m not sure how long they have been growing here but I’d love to go back in time and strangle the person who planted them! They are in my neighbor’s yards on either sides too. Just from birds dropping seeds I imagine.

DO NOT BUY THIS PLANT!!

also the thorns are so painful and cause allergic reactions from the lignans in the thorns. The berries have those lignans too, by the way. The berries taste gross. The only thing nice about them is the flowers, but that means a berry is coming which means more horrible plants so I ravage any flowers I see.

You will regret putting this plant in tne ground. Or the person who buys your house done the road will hate you for it.

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022