Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrew_swmo

Williams Pride vs. Pristine Apple

andrew_swmo
11 years ago

I would like to add an early ripening apple tree to my backyard orchard. I am having hard time deciding between Williams Pride and Pristine. I hope that somebody who has grown both or either one would give some insight. I would like to know about taste, disease resistance, growing habit, how long they store ...etc. Thank you.

Andrew
SW MO

Comments (8)

• alan haigh
    11 years ago

If you like low-acid fruit (yellow delicious) go for Pristine- a little more complexity WP or just graft one or the other onto either one and enjoy both.

WP will provide a longer picking season.

• mrsg47
    11 years ago

I have a 'Pristine' apple and all of the reviews above by harvestman and creekweb are accurate. My apples are ready to pick by the end of July - first week in August. Mine are sweet but are a bit tart as well. They are an excellent baking apple. They are delicious. My 'Pristine' is also on dwarfing stock from Raintree Nursery. I have no problem with Fire blight, or any disease for that matter with the tree. It started producing apples in its second year. It is truly precocious! I bag my apples using plastic 'Baggies' and the apples themselves are beautiful. The tree is an 'over-producer' and thinning takes longer than bagging. It is all worthwhile as this beautiful yellow apple was a recommendation from a few on this site. They are excellent for making applesauce, apple-butter, and apple spice cake. It is extremely juicy too. Mrs. G

• andrew_swmo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you creekweb, harvestman and Mrs. G. The information you provided is helpful and exactly what I needed to know. I will get WP and if I can get scion of Pristine I'll just graft it on WP or one of the other apple trees I have.

Andrew

• andrew_swmo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The description for Pristine is also tempting. I ordered WP the other day and would like to get scion wood of Pristine. I hope that somebody can offer me a stick of Pristine. You can look at my trade list for a trade or I can mail you a self stamped envelop. Thank you.

Andrew
    SW MO

• applenut_gw
    11 years ago

Pristine is still under patent from PRI and cannot be propagated without a license; Williams' Pride's patent expired already and can be freely propagated.

• Axel
    11 years ago

Here on the Central Coast of California, pristine is more acidic than william's pride. William's pride makes beautiful dark red colored apples that hold well on the tree and at their prime, they are some of the highest quality Summer apples I grow, and I have 800+ varieties.

My experience with pristine has not been as positive. It's a good plain yellow apple, very fragrant, but taste wise, it's tart and less interesting than william's pride.Under the right conditions it is aromatic.

My recommendation is that if you have to pick one, pick william's pride. Otherwise, you can't go wrong growing both since they are so different.

• marc5
    11 years ago

Another vote for William's Pride, my new favorite apple. Here in Ohio it's ripe in mid-August. I was amazed at how crisp it is for an early apple. Good flavor balance, dark, red, thick skin. Also seems resistant to disease. My biggest problem is keeping the raccoons off it.